TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

My husband is going to stroke out over HDTV!!

We have HDTV, but no satelite or cable service. I just want to tape a few shows from network TV. Will Tivo or DVR's work without cable/satelite? Our VCR/DVD player is older and doesn't really work with the HDTV, so we need to do something different, but we get a different answer from every TV sales guy we ask.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My husband is going to stroke out over HDTV!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My husband is going to stroke out over HDTV!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem is...

In reply to: My husband is going to stroke out over HDTV!!

You can't record HD to tape or disk (DVD media) so what you have is fine for recording.

My DVR does not require a satellite but there are cables to/from the cable company and my TV.

Collapse -
Without Cable or Satellite...

In reply to: My husband is going to stroke out over HDTV!!

Without either of these, aren't you limited to only local channels that you can receive over "rabbit ears"? Just curious since I haven't gone without cable in 20 years. If my assumption is correct, you're missing 99.9% of what's worth recording, so why even worry about what a Tivo or DVR can record?

Collapse -
Life Without Cable

In reply to: Without Cable or Satellite...

Well, hard as this may be to believe, there actually is life without more than 6 TV stations. When we go to my parents' house, our kids all just want to veg in front of their TV 24/7 because there is always SOMETHING to watch. We prefer to have them find TV boring at home so they will do other things, such as use their imaginations and get fresh air and exercise. I know some people might consider that child abuse, but we are just weird like that. AND, there are things worth taping. I love Supernatural, but I can't watch it while the kids are up, so I need to tape it.

Collapse -
What you have will still work.

In reply to: Life Without Cable

There are no HD recorders for DVD or TAPE so keep what you have.

Collapse -
I understand, but...

I understand about there being more to life than TV, but I was just trying justify the need for a TIVO or DVR when faced with only regular over-the-air channels. The TIVO and DVR seem like over-kill when a VHS recorder seems like it would be sufficient. I mean, if TV isn't such an important thing, then why bother about having an HDTV when a standard TV would do?

Collapse -
Why go HD at all.....

In reply to: I understand, but...

Well, that actually is the funny part. We had this old 19" TV: told our kids it was "retro" so they'd think it was cool. But, all good things come to an end. Our son bought an Xbox 360, and suddenly the old TV wasn't cutting it. He couldn't bring his friends over to play on that embarassing thing! So, we caved and updated to HD. I think hubby was secretly tickled to do it. Traitor!

Collapse -
Oops. No more recording.

In reply to: Why go HD at all.....

Sorry to say, but the only way that you will be able to record anything with a VCR will be threw a converter box. I know you have an HD TV, but it will not put out the signal after they convert to digital. You will still need to get a converter box for the VCR if you want to record.

Collapse -
It is mature to guide your children's exposure to eliminate

what is mostly a waste of their precious time while they are sponges that soak up what is around their universe. Better that it is highlights that which may be more worthwhile. Keep it us a a credit to parenting with actual thinking. No substitute that I know of for the imagination & fresh air, communing with nature & exercise is priceless.

We need not learn all things the hard way by doing it wrong to begin with. It may be many years before the kids develop an appreciation for trying to have their time be more worthwhile than random, but hopefully they will. This is not to say they will be absent from any expression of rebellion, but that is usually a passing phase. Keep up your style.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.