General discussion

My HP laptop seems a bit slow...

...and my next CNet "clean-up" isn't scheduled 'til next month. Is there a way I can do some self-cleaning? Or make a near future appt to connect and do so? I've d/l-ed a bunch of stuff and really don't want to buy any more.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My HP laptop seems a bit slow...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My HP laptop seems a bit slow...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
slow laptop

Is your laptop slow in booting or just slow in general? If it's taking forever to boot; then it could be the case of too many programs all vying for the same startup time.

If you have CCleaner installed; there is a section within the program called "Startup", from there you can see all the programs that start with Windows, and can Disable the programs that don't need to start with Windows (e.g. Adobe updates, Java updates, any programs that automatically check for updates at startup...with the exception of any Windows or Security programs)
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol;1

The other thing that might be slowing your PC is malware, my favorite program (for now) is Hitman Pro 3.5 for scanning for malware
http://www.surfright.nl/en/products/

- Collapse -
Also
- Collapse -
No Model Number

is described here, so there might be issues with that particular model...hard to say without a full description of exactly what seems to be the problem, and no response from the O/P.

CNET Forums

Forum Info