Question

My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI

I've tried every conventional way of getting it to recognize it.

Booting with it plugged into both, just the computer, Alt F4, Windows + P... Nothing.

And I can't even select HDMI on the TV... It is greyed out.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This unit was "HD ready."

Let's say you had success with other HDMI displays. I read up on this DLP and found it's one of those HD ready devices so it's likely that some HDCP failed.

Check with Samsung for any firmware or such updates and hope.

"3 composite, 3 S-Video, 2 component, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 2 RF inputs"

Try that other VGA to DVI adapter cable.
Bob

- Collapse -
I will check

How would I update firmware on a TV? Ive never even had to do it before. Thumb Drive?

- Collapse -
Try the Cnet Samsung Forum.
- Collapse -
I found this...
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=1&PG_ID=3&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=0&AT_ID=17546

But I got confused via 2005 and 2006 Models Many of Samsung's 2005 and 2006 model TVs have a combined HDMI/DVI input jack. You cannot use the combined HDMI/DVI jack to connect your 2005 or 2006 model Samsung TV to your laptop's DVI video output jack. If your 2005 or 2006 Samsung TV has an HDMI only jack, you cannot use the HDMI jack to connect your Samsung TV to your laptop's DVI video output jack. Samsung's 2005 and 2006 TVs do not support DVI to HDMI laptop video connections.

Its an HDMI port to an HDMI port but I don't know if the HDMI port in my TV is a HDMI/DVI. Cause if it is, that means I can't connect it right?
- Collapse -
This is what Samsung said =)

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Vince'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK53808471X

Vince: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: 2005 and 2006 Models Many of Samsung's 2005 and 2006 model TVs have a combined HDMI/DVI input jack. You cannot use the combined HDMI/DVI jack to connect your 2005 or 2006 model Samsung TV to your laptop's DVI video output jack. If your 2005 or 2006 Samsung TV has an HDMI only jack, you cannot use the HDMI jack to connect your Samsung TV to your laptop's DVI video output jack. Samsung's 2005 and 2006 TVs do not support DVI to HDMI laptop video connections.

Visitor: Does this mean I can't do it at all?

Visitor: It would be HDMI to HDMI

Vince: Are you using a HDMI cable or HDMI/DVI cable?

Visitor: HDMI

Vince: Are you referring to the model number HL-R4266W?

Visitor: Yes

Visitor: We just spoke lol

Vince: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Visitor: It's ok!

Vince: I am sorry for the delay.

Vince: As your TV has only the HDMI/DVI port, you need to use a HDMI/DVI cable to connect the TV to the laptop.

Visitor: Ok so I have a wrong cable?

Vince: Yes, you need to use the HDMI to DVI cable.

Visitor: I guess I am confused with what that is... I'll have to do some research.

Vince: The cable will have HDMI at one end and at the other end it will be a DVI port.

Visitor: Does that carry sound also? Or just picture.

Vince: No, yo need to connect a separate audio cable(3.5 mm jack).

Visitor: Blah! That was why I was excited to have an HDMI out on my laptop.

Visitor: Thanks for your help

- Collapse -
Over in the Samsng forum.

I can't tell if you can NAME that input but it sounds like you can't select it either.

HDMI back then was a minefield. That's why I noted (quickly) about the HD READY statements.
Bob

- Collapse -
The TV

It won't recognize it from a computer. It needs a HDMI to DVI which sucks... cause I need a seperate sound out also.

- Collapse -
I see the ambassador had replied at link.
- Collapse -
LOL

Thats what I get for buying an old TV for the bedroom I suppose.

Craigslist here I come =)

CNET Forums