Question

My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI

Im going to rip my hair out.

Ive rebooted with the cable in, out, in just the comp, I've tried Fn F4, Windows Key + P... Nothing.

Please help me!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My HL-R4266W doesnt recognize my Gateway EC5809U via HDMI

JacobStahler,

- Collapse -
Can't select it

The TV will not let me select HDMI even when I go to the list of sources. It is greyed out.

- Collapse -
Can't select it

JacobStahler,

If the HDMI port works with other devices, this would probably indicate that the computer is not sending a video signal - at least through the HDMI cable.

The television isn't recognizing a signal that it can't use - it's just not recognizing that any signal is present. You might want to make sure that the driver you have installed is the latest one, and that the video signal is designed to be sent through that port. Most computers have a default out with the VGA port - that may need to be adjusted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
I spoke to a tech via chat

He said that my year of TV requires a HDMI to DVI cable and a seperate sound because of how it is built.

- Collapse -
I spoke to a tech via chat

JacobStahler,

I thought you had HDMI in the computer.

HDMI will send the same digital video signal as DVI, except that DVI does not support audio. So the chat person is correct - you'd have to have a separate audio cable going from your computer's audio card to the television's audio input.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

I do have an HDMI out on the computer. However my TV was a 2005 edition... according to the reading I have done no 2005-2006 TVs can be used direct via HDMI. Apparently going into the TV I need to use the DVI port. So I have HDMI from the laptop into DVI on the TV with a seperate out for sound. Which was what I was trying to avoid.

But that's what I get for not researching before I buy the extra TV for the bedroom.

Craigslist here I come =P

CNET Forums