Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Harddrive's full but it's not

by alien10 / February 23, 2005 5:18 AM PST

i have to harddrive's an 80 gig as the master and a 200 gig as the slave, the 80 is for the os and the slave for my downling, the 80 gig is full, not sure why when i check all the files and folder's it only adds up 12.2 gig.

please help, this is realy odd, system restore has been turn'd of and i have run disk clean up and got rid of my game's and still it's full.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Harddrive's full but it's not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Harddrive's full but it's not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things
by Steven Haninger / February 23, 2005 5:40 AM PST

Check by doing a right click on the disk under properties to see what size it is and how much of the disk is occupied. It may also be that your have the OS configured to not show hidden or system files. You restore point data will be such and can occupy lots of space. Check whether your partition is NTFS or FAT-32. If it's FAT-32, you will only have 32 gigs available. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
i've done it
by alien10 / February 23, 2005 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Two things

found out some info, which help'd me a lot

- First run a scandisk. It could recover some free space on the hard disk.
- Then be sure that the 'memory' referenced is hard disk memory in fact, not RAM or resources.
- Then go to into Explorer and delete all files with a modification date less than today (hint: detail view and sort on date). That folder is not mentioned in your post.
- Then download a nice little program called i.disk from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/idisk.html and see for yourself where the 1 Gb is being used. Warning: don't use it to delete things; use Explorer for that.
- Then download any free zip program (if you don't have it) and use that to zip folders full of things you don't immediately need but don't want to throw away either.

Mysterious in your post: you can only delete a few file at a time because that's all the computer can handle. Please elaborate on that. And did you try shift-delete?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Is this message a self reply to your own thread ? [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / February 23, 2005 6:28 PM PST
In reply to: i've done it

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!