General discussion

My Hard Drive is Driving me CRAZY!!

Hey guys... I currently have ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo, with Antec True 430W Power supply. And my CPU is AMD 2500 Barton, and my video card is Radeon 9800 Pro.

See... Sofar, I've replaced every single one of these because whenever i setup my computer on a raid, they start clicking... And the clicking sound isn't like where it sounds like two metals are rubbing, but more like the harddive looses speed and it spins backup to the right speed...

In the beginning, I had two 36.6 WD Raptor SATA harddrives setup on the raid... They work fine sometimes... but sometimes it would start clicking randomly...

So I thought it was maybe the motherboard, and i replaced it... same problem... so, then i went to get rid of the SATA raid all together, and bought myself a Promise Fasttrack TX4000 raid controller... with that, I currently have 4 IDE WD 80GB harddrives setup on a raid. everything was working fine for like a week... but then back to the SAME problem!

I can't tell you the number of times that i've replaced my hard drives because of this clicking sound.... So i'm almost 99.9% sure its not the harddrives... And it can't be the mother board because i've had 3-4 different mother boards (kept sending them in for RMA) I'm pretty sure its not the raid controller because even with the new mother board, i'll have the same problem on my sata drives...

The only possible thing that i can think of, is that the power supply isn't strong enough.... But i would like to hear all possible opinions before i go ahead and buy myself a new power supply...

I'm really getting sick of all this raid problems.. and i would really love it if any of you guys can come up with a solution for me... Thanks guys~

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My Hard Drive is Driving me CRAZY!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Hard Drive is Driving me CRAZY!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info