Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

my hard drive is disturbing me

it got a virus and now i can't boot up,even make a new installation of xp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my hard drive is disturbing me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my hard drive is disturbing me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When starting a new post

In reply to: my hard drive is disturbing me

You should note the statement in red asking to supply all the info needed to help you. How do you know it is a virus and not a hardware failure?.

Collapse -
How to clean your hard drive...

In reply to: my hard drive is disturbing me

Since you are talking about making a new installation of Windows XP, I would recommend that you go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a bootable utility program to partition and format your hard drive. Most hard disk manufacturers have such a download. They should have two versions, 1) a floppy disk version and 2) a version to burn on a bootable CD. If your manufacturer does not have such a program to download, you may have to buy a third party program, such as Acronis Disk Manager or Symantec Partition Magic (which used to be Power Quest Partition Magic). I say you may have to buy one of those programs because, for example, the Western Digital program does not work on my Maxtor hard disk, and likewise, my Maxtor program does not work on my Western Digital...

What you need to do is to start this program from boot up, either in the floppy drive or from your main CD/DVD drive. This will allow you to work on the drive without the virus being active, because the virus requires Windows to be working. You will then need to un-partition the drive, and then repartition it. This clears all of the data that is on your hard drive and makes it so it is like it was when you bought it. If you have either the Acronis program or the Symantec program, then wipe the drive. This does a thorough cleaning of your drive to make sure that it is completely clean of all data. Now you will need to re-partition your hard drive and format it.

In formatting your hard drive, if you have a choice of formats, such as FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, or any other format, then choose NTFS. That is the most updated formatting, which allows you to have big files on your hard drive that are over 4 GB in size, and it also supports the larger hard drives better. It is the one that is the standard now.

I don?t know about the Symantec program because I don?t own it, but if you have the Acronis Disk Director Suite, then from the format menu, not only can you choose the type of format (NTFS), but you can also change the sector size of your formatted hard disk. By default, if you just use a formatting utility, it will format at a size of 4 KB but you can change it down as low as 512 bytes, which is where I have mine set. What that does, is that it increases the potential to store more files on your hard drive by reducing the amount of space that each files uses on the hard drive. For example, if you were to create a text document with only one letter typed in it, its file would be 1 KB, but how much space is it actually using? If your sector size is 4 KB, then it is using 4 KB for a file that is really less than 1 KB, and since it IS less than 1 KB in reality, if the sector size is 512, when you click on properties, it will show that it is taking up only 512 bytes, even though it is reporting the 1 KB minimum size.

Once you have wiped, re-partitioned, and formatted your hard drive, you will be virus free and ready to go for another new installation of Windows XP. In re-installing Windows XP, if this is the second (or more) time, you may have to dial an 800 number for assistance in re-activating Windows. She will ask you WHY you are re-installing Windows, and you cannot get ?permission? to re-install it if you give the wrong answer. Well you had a virus, so you had to format your hard drive and start over. That should be a good enough excuse for her. It worked for me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.