General discussion

My hard drive crashed, is my Outlook email gone for good?

Major tip for newbies, if your laptop is on & you have a SATA hard drive, if you bump it your hard drive will very possibly corrupt. I thought I put mine on standby, put it in my back pack and stupidly enough bumped it in my doorway when i was turning around to close the door. Now my hard drive cannot be detected and i must replace it. to recover data will be at least $2,000 so i cannot afford that. I decided I will just hold on to my corrupt had drive until the day it is cheaper to recover data.

On to my question. I had Outlook on there and it had all of my saved emails including online purchases, funny ones, sentimental ones, etc... I am almost fairly certain that there is no way to access these folders besides on that hard drive, which is now done for. Is this correct? Outlook on this computer has imported all of my sent messages somehow so I was thinking that there may be a chance of getting all those folders. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I cannot recover those folders, but I was seeing if maybe there is a chance.

Thanks guys

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My hard drive crashed, is my Outlook email gone for good?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My hard drive crashed, is my Outlook email gone for good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you didn't make a backup ...

of that .pst file that was on that hard disk, and the hard disk has gone south you've lost it, unless you pay a professional data recovery company for recovering it.

As we say here: you only lose what you don't backup. Which means: if you don't backup it, you don't mind losing it. But it seems you do.

Kees

- Collapse -
leave messages on server

If you had Outlook set to leave the messages on the server, you should get some of your e-mails back when you set up your account on the new hard drive.

As posted, you need to get into the habit of making regular backups and turning your computer off before transporting it.

- Collapse -
I will back up from now on

Yeah, I did not back up my files, that is why I am keeping my hard drive. Like the computer guy said, 'this only happens to ppl once' I have learned my lesson big time not to keep all my important data in one place.

I never wanted to keep a copy on the server b/c then i would have copies of all sorts of junk email I don't want too. I guess i need just need to back up those important folders too or resend them to myself and open them with a diff outlook.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully this will help others realize they should backup their data if nothing else

- Collapse -
wait...

so glb, are you maybe saying that if you save messages to the server it only saves the ones you don't delete and such? will it save only the stuff you saved? that would be awesome if that's how you're saying it works instead of it saving every single message that comes thru. Maybe I assumed wrong that it saves it all, is this right?

- Collapse -
What I would try . . .

Pull the drive and put it into an external USB case. Maybe you'll get lucky and can access it.

In the future, set your email account to leave on server until you delete it. This way any emails saved on the PC are left on the server. Any emails deleted by you are deleted from the server.

- Collapse -
thanks

I have looked throughout Outlook and AOL's settings to set it to save to the server but I cannot find where to do it.
i'm sorry, but could you tell me how to do it? I know this stuff fairly well, i'm surprised i can't figure out how to do it myself!

- Collapse -
I use Outlook Express, not Outlook . . .

But in OE's Account setup, Properties, Advanced, there is the option for leaving on the server. You might look in that area for Outlook.

- Collapse -
thank you!

for regular Outlook it was in account settings, you double click the default send choice (if you have more than 1 account) and in the 'more setting' button it is then in the advanced tab. Thank you so much cory!

CNET Forums