Speakeasy forum

General discussion

My Grandma passed on, and I was burgled on the same day.

My Grandmother died this past Tuesday. She was 4 months and a few days shy of 100, so we can't say it was unforeseen but it was sudden and I wasn't there for her passing. Living with a person in your life for that long makes you view her as someone indestructible. She will be missed.

I closed up the house and took off for a couple of days. My current room mate took all the dogs with him over to his girlfriends' house for the night. Coming back the next day, he found the front door kicked in. A 32 inch LCD TV, a PS3 and a hand gun were all missing from his bedroom. Interestingly enough he had left his curtains open (in a window 6 feet off the ground) and a light on in that room when he left that night, so anyone could look in and see the TV. No other room was ransacked. Could have been much worse. House can be seen from the road with the leaves off the trees and bushes. All cars gone from the drive... no big dogs barking or roaming the yard or house. Someone saw an opportunity and took it.

Cops got the serial numbers of all the items that were taken. They will keep a look out for them. None of my stuff was taken, but all my windows were dark and the curtains pulled. The thieves took what they could see from the outside, I guess.

I'm back home now, and will warn my nearby neighbors (already talked to one of them). I'm just worried these folks will come back... I'm not worried for my safety... but for any thieving idiots I have forced on me. I resent any fool who puts me in a position where I may have to seriously hurt or kill them. I live in the country, and enjoy the privacy and seclusion. This event is a serious damper on my enjoyment of life. Compound this with the passing of my last grandparent and I'm now in a pretty dark mood.

Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Grandma passed on, and I was burgled on the same day.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Grandma passed on, and I was burgled on the same day.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Who has insurance and...

In reply to: My Grandma passed on, and I was burgled on the same day.

...how much will the roomie receive? Any?

Collapse -
sorry to hear your grandma passed on

I hope because it was unexpected it was peaceful. losing a family member that has lived that long must feel as if the sun stopped rising. something you could count on will be missing. it also seems that she passed on to you the strength to travel on.

take the dogs for a long walk and think of her. you'll remember why she woke up every day.

Collapse -
(NT) Condolences on the loss of your Grandmother.

Collapse -
My condolances on both counts.

It can be very tough to lose family, although my grandparents died before I knew who they were.

The burglary. Been there. Done that. It really ticks you off. My weapons are now well hidden so they won't easily be found by burglars.

Collapse -
Sorry for all the losses,

especially the people ones. Sad
The particulars of the burglary sound like a druggie in severe need. Lone or maybe a girl/boy duo. Didn't take more than they could fence quickly. The gun could be a problem ...

Collapse -
Sorry to hear about your loss

A friend just recently almost lost her mom and, then, her grandmother died a few days ago. She's a wreck.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for all your thoughts

Collapse -
I'm sorry to hear of both your family loss and the burglary

My condolences on the loss of your grandmother. I also know what it's like to have your home burglarized and how creepy it makes you feel. When it happened to us (in New Jersey) they only took some worthless jewelry and the contents of a coin jar. A neighbor saw them and called the police. They were picked up a short time later scoping out another house. We got all our stuff back but as far as I know, one of them managed to escape jail time simply by not showing up for his court appearances. The system in Newark was too busy to go hunting him down, I guess.

For what it's worth, they never did try to enter our home again.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry for your losses, grim.

Collapse -
Your Grandmother's life was one to be celebrated!

She was an eyewitness to so many discoveries and events in her lifetime. I know you miss her, but her memory is a treasure.

Bummer re: the burglary. Makes one feel so violated. You might get some stuff back, but the anger stays for a while. I know from experience.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Thanks everyone.

I appreciate your thoughts and condolences.

Happy

Collapse -
Update on the break in.

Well, the cops caught a theft ring based out of a local Best Western. Found some of my boarder's stuff - pistol and video game but not the TV. These folks are apparently a group based out of the next county over, that went on a break in spree. The sheriff from the next county over tracked them to the local hotel because of some suspicious behavior on the part of a couple of these people. Apparently the break in was totally random, or so the cops say. So much for my feeling we had been cased out by a local neer-do-well.

Cops say this is the fastest they have ever seen stolen goods recovered before.

I'm considering putting in a commercial home alarm system, but haven't made up my mind yet. Got to do some research.

grim

Collapse -
It's good they were caught.

In reply to: Update on the break in.

It might help you rest a little easier knowing they weren't locals.

And it was a crime of opportunity, (they didn't "case the joint") not that you live in a joint. gangsta' talk

Collapse -
Yeah, I remember putting my alarm in

In reply to: Update on the break in.

after the fact. Happy

Collapse -
I did that too

In reply to: Yeah, I remember putting my alarm in

It gives you some peace of mind and it may get you a few dollars off your homeowner's or renter's insurance.

One thing I liked about ADT was that they gave you two passcodes for the keypad. One was real and the other was a fake "panic" code that you could enter if a burglar put a gun to you and told you to turn off the alarm. It acts like it's being turned off but it really calls for help.

Collapse -
(NT) Now that is slick! Never heard of it before.

In reply to: I did that too

Collapse -
ouch

You have my deepest sympathies.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.