Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My friend needs a modem driver to get online

by elunceford / September 30, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

My friend cannot get online. She was told by a tech support person that her modem driver needs to be updated and that someone else can download it onto a CD and she can install it from the disk. She does not have Winzip so she cannot install a zip file. It will have to be an exe file. She was told she needs an update for the following driver:

Soft K 56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP, and the mfg is CXT.

Thanks for any assistance.

Elaine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My friend needs a modem driver to get online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My friend needs a modem driver to get online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My friend needs a modem driver to get online
by FrankQTran / September 30, 2004 1:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
by elunceford / September 30, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

I have found numerous search results also; however, at the site (such as driverguide.com), I can find drivers that match exactly except for the CARP. I cannot find one that has that. I don't know what CARP means, but I would think that the updated driver would have to be exact. Since I don't know much about these things, I really am afraid to download one that doesn't match exactly to what her driver is.

thanks

Collapse -
by FrankQTran / September 30, 2004 11:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2004 7:09 PM PDT

Elaine,

Let's hope the tech support person is right, and has done the right diagnostics to get to his opinion. There can be a host of other causes, but it's impossible to say anything sensible on it without knowing some background (what happened) and what happens exactly if she tries to connect with her dial-up icon.

In fact, if it has worked and stopped working by some unknown cause, it's unlikely in my opinion that updating the driver will help. But it won't harm either, as long as it's the correct driver (which is a big caveat!).

She might begin with by reinstalling the old driver, if she has it on diskette or CD. Remove the modem from Device Manager, reboot and the New Hardware wizard will take over and ask you for the diskette or CD. It's a good practice, at least, for installing a new one.

If the computer she uses to copy the downloaded driver to diskette(s) or burn it to CD has some unzipping program (Windows XP has it build in) there's no need for her to have so. A driver, by the way, isn't necessarily an exe-file. In fact, usually it's an inf-file accompanied by a lot of others (like vxd's and dll's and reg's).

If there's space on the burned CD, however (and there surely is) she might like to add one of the free unzipping programs available. Choose (with diligence) from http://www.google.com/search?q=download+free+unzip
Note, however, that the first hit (winzip) isn't free!
But stuffit-expander is free and good, and there are others also.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 1, 2004 12:03 AM PDT

As Kees said

Uninstall the device in the device manager, reboot and allow windows to re-install.

To add

If windows does not find and install modem then it is blown. 90% of the time it has proven to be to be true and has saved me time. (10% corrupt O/S or drivers).

Bill

Collapse -
by elunceford / October 1, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

Wouldn't windows ask for the installation disk to be inserted? She does not have one. The tech who installed her windows last yr at his shop did not give it to her. She has been told by numerous people that her driver needs updating, but we cannot find one that has CARP in the name. We find Soft K 56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone drivers, but none of them have CARP in the name. Are you familiar with this?

Thank you,
Elaine

Collapse -
by Willy / October 1, 2004 1:12 AM PDT

Use the modem driver that you find w/o CARP. It maybe part of the options of the modem but the basic modem portion should work. Even, if it doesn't and you've tried various drivers, right or wrong, it may prove the modem is actually defective. Iyf all this proves to be too much of a hassle, just replace the modem.

If I had the modem in my hands, I would look at the largest chip on it and note down the numbers, as you investigate modem drivers, you'kll find that a certain number is the "key chip" that drivers are trying to drive, thus you find a match sooner or later. Also, you can use the FCC ID#, goto the V90 modem website and using the FCC# find the true maker and match for info you then can proceed on, usually a link to the maker.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Lesson learned.
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2004 2:26 AM PDT

Elaine,

When buying device (even if you let it install by someone else) be sure to get the driver diskette/CD! You pay for it, and you may need it in the future. Like now.

Contact the tech?

Kees

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 1, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

Elaine,

Most times removing a device does not
un-installed the drivers.

And You really don't want to know how many working modems I've tossed due to lack of drivers. Cheaper and less stressfull to replace.

Bill

Collapse -
If I search ...
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

with http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=carp+cxt
the very first hit has the description:

... soft k 56 data fax voice speakerphone CARP CXT. Looking for a driver? ... Subject:
Comments: : : soft k 56 data fax voice speakerphone CARP CXT. ...

and this is the link:
www.driverforum.com/modem4/11580.html

Why do you say you can't find any CARP driver?

Just wondering. Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: If I search ...
by FrankQTran / October 1, 2004 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: If I search ...
Collapse -
by elunceford / October 1, 2004 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: If I search ...

Sorry, but I have been registered at that site for a very long time.

Collapse -
by FrankQTran / October 2, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

The you should see the driver setup program. Don't be confused with their wording Data Fax. It has everything you needed for the modem.

Regards,

Collapse -
by elunceford / October 1, 2004 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: If I search ...

Because I follow those same links, but there are absolutely NO CARP drivers listed. The search results show it, but I can never find any listed at the site.

Thanks.

Collapse -
by JP Bill / October 1, 2004 11:51 PM PDT

Does this site list what you want?

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=120319

Model
PCG-FX210
AC-Link Modem Enumerator for ALi
AC-Link Modem Enumerator for ALi+
AC-Link Modem Enumerator for VIA
AC-Link Modem Enumerator for INTEL
AC-Link Modem Enumerator for SIS
SoftK56 Data Fax CARP For ALI
SoftK56 Data Fax CARP For ALI+
SoftK56 Data Fax CARP For VIA
SoftK56 Data Fax CARP For Intel
SoftK56 Data Fax CARP For SIS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.