The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

my first Mac. do I need the warranty?

by Karl_A / February 10, 2007 10:05 AM PST

I'm about to purchase my first Mac (a 15 inch MacBook Pro) and wondering if the warranty is worth the $300. I've never purchased an extended warranty on any previous systems because I usually can just fix it myself. But given that it's a Mac (and should be reliable) I don't know if I need it.

And FWIW, I know Leopard should be out "soon" but I'm too impatient to wait with no definite release date yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my first Mac. do I need the warranty?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my first Mac. do I need the warranty?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better safe than sorry
by rtemp / February 10, 2007 12:12 PM PST

I would guess that you will be okay fixing minor things by yourself. However, if you are usually about as luck as me (not very), your logic board will the one out of a million that has some sort of horrible defect, needing to be replaced.

My point is that you should probably go ahead and spend the money, even if you do not really need it. It just might come in handy someday.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by fbbbb / February 10, 2007 8:06 PM PST

Applecare is poor value compared to Dell's premium service but it's a necessity, especially on the Macbook Pro where few parts are user-replaceable. I've had all manner of problems ranging from the nightmare "How the @#$% can that happen on a $3K laptop?" to minor but highly irritating issues (that I just don't get with similarly priced laptops from other makers) with all of my MBP's and would not hesitate to say that if you have to buy an Apple, definitely get the Applecare warranty.

Collapse -
for laptops
by Ravensblood / February 10, 2007 10:01 PM PST

I would generally say yes. You do have a year of warranty already included, but if you plan on calling tech support after 90 days, you will want to purchase applecare.

LAptops are also much more susceptible to injury, and the display and logic board are extremely expensive to replace. Applecare is a small price to pay compared to any computer repair like that.

You can wait until your year is almost over before you buy applecare. You don't need to fork out the money now. just put the date on your calendar for 11 months from now to purchase it.

Also, You don't have to pay full price at Apple. you can get applecare from third party vendors like Smalldog for $299.00 or Amazon for $329.99 instead of Apple for $349.00.

I would also suggest if you buy your Macbook at the Apple store, when they push Applecare say no and refuse until they offer you an additional discount. they can and usually do that.

Collapse -
Mac Warranty
by sheala / February 10, 2007 11:09 PM PST

Most of the Mac Podcasters give this as a guide for the 3 year extension.

laptops- get the extra Mac care.

desktops- good idea, but it's okay not to, if you feel comfortable fixing problems yourself.

if you're someone who trades in computers every few years, than no.

Definitely find some Mac podcasts- I like the MacCast, The Mac Observer Podcasts, Mac Roundtable and Mac Tips daily. Also if your a switcher- Typical Mac User.

Collapse -
how much is it?
by matt02429 / February 11, 2007 2:48 AM PST

I tend to go against buying extended warranty's. To apples credit, I have heard only positive things about their apple care plan.

I think that for a desktop I wouldn't buy the warranty, For a laptop, If I was going to do a lot or traveling with it and banging it around a bit I would buy the warranty. Most computer hardware fails withing the first few months if at all, and apple I think gives you a year to buy the warranty, so you might want to wait and see.

My biggest reason against buying applecare, is that apple memory is expensive, and I wouldn't want to buy a warranty and have it voided cause I upgraded the ram ( I don't know if they do that in practice, but it might be something to consider and research). Also, in 3 years if the hardware breaks, I get to upgrade (YAYY!!!).

Collapse -
(NT) a computer with applecare raises it's resale value...
by Ravensblood / February 11, 2007 11:14 PM PST
Collapse -
yes
by metalica77 / February 12, 2007 3:46 AM PST

yes i do suggest getting an extra warranty. I was listening to the macbreak weekly podcast and they had this exact conversation i don't know which episode though and they concluded that it's way worth it. Personally i think a warranty should be purchased on a laptop regardless of what it is. When i get my first mac i will to buy a warranty.

Collapse -
Macs, the warranty, and educational discounts
by Larry Launstein Jr / February 15, 2007 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: yes

Whatever you do, definitely get the 3-year extension. It will keep you going, even when your machine breaks down.

Also a heads up to everyone here, and a good reason to go back and take some classes to upgrade your skills, even if you are only taking one or two classes at a time: The educational discounts Apple runs are very generous. And the discounts through a college or university, or through companies that offer academic discounts, are fantastic. I have been very satisfied with a company out of West Virginia, CCV Software, at http://www.ccvsoftware.com.

So, if you are looking to upgrade to a new computer, you may want to consider the investment in classes, too, because of the discounts you can get on computer hardware and software. You will be upgrading your skills, and also getting a new computer on a student discount as well.

Collapse -
Buy it
by maria Morris / February 16, 2007 12:12 AM PST

You never know when you will need it. I bought it and after months of not understanding why my computer wasn't acting the right way one of the teachers in the store realized that the computer was broken and needed a new mother board. So the money I spend on the warranty paid off for me. I hope this helps you make up your mind.

Collapse -
max warranty essential for any laptop
by NM_Bill / February 16, 2007 12:39 AM PST

You can usually fix it yourself? Nice if you have all that skill. This Powerbook went black screen after 2 1/2 years. Apple Care had it picked up, fixed & returned in 2 1/2 days. Nice!!!

Sure I hated to fork out that kind of dough. But you'd better.

Collapse -
Get the warranty just to call free for 3 years
by grtgrfx / February 16, 2007 2:50 AM PST

Laptops are more fragile than any other computer type because they can go anywhere, and that tends to wear them out. I always buy extended warranties on laptops for that reason, and I have had to use it after the normal warranty period expired.

That said, I'd also note that if you (anyone) buys a new desktop Mac, the $300 Applecare investment gets you an additional bonus that laptop owners don't receive: free onsite hardware repair for most users. Most people aren't aware of this! Laptop services, however, are normally carry-in to your local Apple store unless you live too far away. So Applecare is good for both desktop and portable users, but for different reasons.

Collapse -
Apple lies....
by Legodude522 / February 16, 2007 3:31 AM PST

At the Apple Store I was lied to and told the Apple Care covered cracked screens. Took the guy's word. A few months later, it cracked and Apple wouldn't do a damn thing about it. I called them every month, then every week, then every day... after calling them for a straight week, I was able to get a refund.

Will never buy from Apple again. And that was just one reason.

Collapse -
For a laptop I'd say sure get AppleCare ...
by treerod1 / February 16, 2007 12:02 PM PST

As long as Apple continues to use that crappy IBM hard-drives in their laptop, I'd say yea get AppleCare. I'm running 3 for 3 with Apple iBooks and MacBook on hard drive failures. Fortunately, all occured within 3 months of puchasing the laptops, so it was covered under the normal warranty.

In regards to desktop, I've owned numerous Mac's since 1984 and I've never had any of them serviced. However, my son had to have his entire G5 replaced due to a problem with the Firewire port ... a known problem within the Apple user community, but well not advertised by Apple.

In regard to the individual with a cracked laptop screen, I don't care what he was told or believes, common sense would have told you not to trust any saleman and no computer mfg would have covered that damage because it's view as an users abuse of the laptop and not a defect of the product. It's like trying to get you brand new car fix under warranty after someone rear-ended you ... so sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Collapse -
(NT) my macbook came with Fujitsu drive....
by Ravensblood / February 17, 2007 11:48 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: extended warranty
by dan1000 / February 16, 2007 9:31 PM PST

I was never a fan of extended warranties so I did not buy one with my first laptop, a 15" Powerbook. But, in the 11th month my charger burnt out and it was easily replaced via fed-ex. I bought the additional 2 years 1 day before my first anniversary with the computer. Fast forward to near the end of that 2 years and I had a couple of minor problems and one major one. The day before I had traveled through Boston with this G4 in my checked luggage. The gorillas at TSA dented the case on the back where the hinge is (they left a note). It didn't effect the performance, just cosmetic. I sent the computer in through the Apple store to fix all the problems before the warranty expired. The service guys not only fixed all items but replaced the damaged case which was not their responsibility but greatly appreciated. The cost of the warranty is worth it. When I got my Macbook Pro I added the warranty first thing.

Collapse -
Yes....buy
by ben53 / February 16, 2007 10:18 PM PST

I have always owned Apple computers, when I bought my fourth a new G4 for $2000 I thought maybe for the first time I would buy the applecare plan. Glad I did, never having any trouble with the first three the G4 proved to be a handful. After a little over a year I was having a number of problems. After many weekend hours online with tech support and three trips to the repair center and I'm guessing $1,200.00 of service work (paid for by Apple) Customer service threw their hands up after six weeks and replaced the machine. They not only replaced it, but with a new G5. The new machine arrived two days after they agreed to the replacement, before I could even box up the G4 and send it back. Plus they credit me what was left on the applecare plan. After 60 days I bought another applecare plan. When you are putting out $1,500 to $2,300 for a machine it's wise to protect your investment. Apple tech help (for me) has always been patient and "understandable" with most of my problems. Yes! Apple does make a good product. My son has an old G4 sawtooth model that he has dragged through three years of college and two years moving around the country (photo journalist) the thing looks like a well used steamer trunk, but has never had a problem with it..... and no applecare, his choice. I've learned the hard way, "It's not if your hard drive fails..... but when."

Collapse -
Max Warranty? Absolutely!!!
by lg2707 / February 17, 2007 8:57 AM PST

I recently purchased my first mac too. Best machine I've ever had. I bought that warranty and here's why. Should something go wrong with your machine, its covered. And if the repair people can't fix it, you get a new machine. If they aren't making yours anymore, then you get the replacement model. My daughter sent her mac in for service once and the warranty more than paid for itself. Face it, a computer is a major purchase. Spending a little more for a warranty only makes sense.

Collapse -
My opinion...
by Jasmes / February 18, 2007 5:00 AM PST

Absolutely go with the warranty, my Macbook Pro has been an unreliable piece of trash.

Collapse -
how about this scenario....
by sciflyer / February 19, 2007 1:11 AM PST

do not buy a CRapple notebook.
there, you win.

Collapse -
Original and creative post!
by archaeo1 / February 19, 2007 5:22 AM PST

One could say, it's better than buying a "Windoze" computer, but we don't go there Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!