TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

My First HDTV, Is it any good?

by PvpMan22 / November 15, 2006 9:36 PM PST

Hello, I am thinking about buying an HDTV and I have found a very cheap one for 330 dollars with a 130 dollar rebate making it 200 dollars. This model TV is a Westinghouse LTV-19W6. It is 19inches widescreen and claims to be compatible with up to 1080i. Also I like that it has connectors for both Computers and other multimedia devices (like the Xbox 360). I am wondering if this is a good deal or if I need to watch out for this model. Thanks.
Pvpman22

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My First HDTV, Is it any good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My First HDTV, Is it any good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look at the reviews.
by Kees Bakker / November 15, 2006 10:06 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by PvpMan22 / November 16, 2006 5:20 AM PST

Yeah, I appreciate your input. The rebate is very high and so I am going to verify it because it was in a Local Bestbuy ad for Black Friday. It looks like it is a good TV the only other question I have is that how well does it support 1080i? I ask this because the resolution is not 1920

Collapse -
NO. JUST NO.
by Riverledge / November 16, 2006 6:19 AM PST

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING DECENT.

Sorry, river.

Collapse -
Huh?!
by PvpMan22 / November 16, 2006 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: NO. JUST NO.

Yes, I realize it is a minuscule size set but I am mostly going to use it for either the computer but mostly for the Xbox 360. When I play the 360 I usually am pretty close to the TV so I think it wont be a problem (I have a 50 inch Rear projection TV for the living room). I do think you might be right to wait to get a larger TV. Thanks. I'll think about it.

Collapse -
postage stamp size westinghouse
by stewart norrie / November 16, 2006 7:46 AM PST

Sounds like a great set if you are planning on sitting 2 ft away from the screen. Put it this way To injoy your hi-def t.v. you must have a hi-def sat or cable system and add hi-def programming, also you will want to add a nice 5.1. sound system. I have a 72" d.l.p. set. and sometimes I wish it were even bigger. Yes save your money and do it rite In closing that t.v. has such a small screen size I dont think its going to look any different than a $100 walmart special. If you want a nice little home theater plan on spending at least $2000 Just because its sounds cheap after awhile your going to hate it unless your the only one watching it steweeeee

Collapse -
Odd resolution
by Dan Filice / November 16, 2006 1:22 PM PST

The reason the TV has an odd resolution of 1440X900 is so it will display computer images. That's why TVs that are are rated at 720p don't specifically have 720 as a horizontal resolution but usually show 768 instead...that's so they will have a compatible computer display resolution. 720 is not a native computer resolution. Your TV will convert 1080i to it's native resolution. I wouldn't expect stellar performance from this TV, but if you are strapped for money it may be good, especially if computer display is your major use. My friend just bought a Westinghouse 19" (maybe a different model) and it came out of the box with red pixels in the screen. It doesn't bother my friend so he's exstatic about the TV.

Collapse -
I love mine.
by aberrent / December 3, 2006 10:15 AM PST

I have the exact tv. I think it works great, I have it hooked to my XPS and Wii. I just ordered the HD cabels for my Wii so I can have it at optimal settings. Yeah it works fine, though, the remote isn't all that attractive but I don't really care I've got resolution maxed out on my PC and soon to be HD on my Wii. Personally I think it is well worth it, it has a decent size screen, is HD ready, and can plug into pretty much anything.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?