General discussion

My First HDTV. Help!

I'm looking for an LED 1080p HDTV somewhere in the $500+/- range. My entertainment system is only 36.5" wide so I'm looking at getting a 32" or so with at least 1 VGA. I'm a mediaphile and slowly building my first HTPC setup so the visual quality is most important to me (black level, good motion, color, brightness, no jeggies, etc.) I dont care so much about having netflix and such but Internet as a bonus might be nice as long as I don't have to sacrifice price or quality to get it. Suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My First HDTV. Help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My First HDTV. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I didn't look very hard, but...

I don't think there are too many to choose from; the only one that I see is the 32" Insignia by BestBuy.

- Collapse -
I'd suggest waiting

Unfortunately, your price range & size/quality/LED-LCD type requirements won't buy much, if at all when configured that way. If you could increase your space constraints you would be bumped up to better value-priced HDTVs which would provide better long term satisfaction for a mediaphile, IME and O. Part of the problem too is that high definition content is more difficult for the human eyes to resolve at typical viewing distances on such modest screen sizes. Similary, I suggested to my own father that he wait until his budget permitted a larger entertainment center, one that would accomodate an HDTV in the neighborhood of 46-50". That's the sweet spot size now for overall value since you have a myriad of choices, many under $1K.

I'd also suggest you skip the internet widgets and such since right now those extra features simply bump up your price but do not add to overall PQ or build quality, for that matter.

- Collapse -
Interesting

I was afraid I would be in more of a financial constraint than a spacial constraint. I even figured out how to bump my funds up to the $800+/- range. I hadn't thought of that Pepe7. Kinda throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

- Collapse -
LED suggestion

IMHO, do yourelf a favor and skip the 240Hz models unless you want 3-D, which your budget won't allow. The 240Hz quadruples the frame rate and it makes film content look terrible, like it was shot on a cheap-o video camera. Don't fall for the "240Hz eliminate all motion blur" line that the sales people may give. The sad fact is that 240Hz will also eliminate making film look like film. A 120Hz model will be great.

- Collapse -
On motion blur

I heard I also need to watch out for what system the tv uses for motion blur because some are awful. What do I look for?

- Collapse -
In that case...

...I would skip LED-LCD entirely in that price range if motion blur is an issue. Plasma won't have to deal with motion blur of LCD.

- Collapse -
Plasma power

Is the power consumption of plasma as bad ppl make it out to be? How is it comprable to my current tube tv?

- Collapse -
It will be similar to CRT

My understanding is that plasmas will use more because they are much larger than a typical CRT. Somewhat proportional electricty though based on size. OTOH, post-calibration they will use slightly less power overall. LCD does better though.

I'd look at the issue from a more real world perspective instead. A typical DVR will use more electricty through the year since they are constantly using power, even when idle/standby. FWIW, a refrigerator might use $100 worth of eletricity/yr.
Unless you haved several large flatscreens & set top boxes w/ DVRs in the home you probably won't see a massive increase in your electric bill. YMMV.

- Collapse -
Nope

My 54g10 is running about 250watts with House on with contrast set too 75. My 30" CRT died a few months ago that ran 120-130watts, I replaced with a 42S2 that runs 110-220watts average is around 140watts, 90 watts when the screen is blank.

- Collapse -
Sold

Ok you got me on the plasma train where do I go from here?

- Collapse -
Costco, Best Buy and Sears

Have the Panny Plasma for very good prices. I've read that "Black Friday" is starting early this year today (Friday) so maybe you can get even a better price.

- Collapse -
Sweet!

Any models I should especially look out for incase they go down in price?

- Collapse -
The G20

Then you get THX mode, YouTube, Netflix & some other Internet stuff + you get more settings in the menu like you can pick the 24p direct input (that setting only applies for blu ray movies), the S-line you just get ON/OFF/AUTO option.

- Collapse -
Yes, but...

The S is less than $800 for the 50". I would take the G20 too, but if someone is on a budget, the 24p option set to Auto works fine and you can't beat the price.

- Collapse -
Can't Find

Can you guys give me model numbers?

- Collapse -
Model
- Collapse -
Thanks Everyone!

I talked to the wife and I have a G25 enroute from amazon for $1059 and they threw in the stick speaker subwoofer pack and sipping for free! You guys are awesome!

- Collapse -
I'm not set on size anymore.

I think you're right about the 50" over a 40ish. I got the entertainment center for free anyway.

CNET Forums

Forum Info