PC Hardware forum

Question

My First Custom Build Starts Fans, But No Picture

by jameswalker101 / July 14, 2012 5:34 AM PDT

Hello, I am new to this forum, and building computers. I just finished my first build, and there is no picture, the fans just whirr and the motherboard LED lights.
Here are my specs:
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-MX
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 3.3GHZ
Case: CiT Recon mATX case
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ
HDD: WD1200JB 120GB 7.2k RPM (this is rescued from an old DELL Dimension PC and fitted with an IDE to SATA adapter.

Everything apart from the HDD is new.
I am using the integrated ATI Radeon 3000.
They can be returned within 14 days as they are from Amazon (.co.uk) and Ebuyer.

I have tried removing the SATA for HDD. Same problem. I removed the RAM and HDD. Same problem. I reformatted the HDD in the old Dell. If I get the build working, it should display the No OS detected BIOS message, like it did in the DELL. I will try any other suggestions. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My First Custom Build Starts Fans, But No Picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My First Custom Build Starts Fans, But No Picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Quick checks
by Willy / July 15, 2012 1:03 AM PDT

Remove all drives or disconnect entirely. Now boot and if no display, then something remains either faulty or badly configured. Test the monitor on another PC, does it work?

You can try the reset the bios to defaults, bu using the "clearing pins", thus review the manual for what it takes to do this. If the monitor still doesn't display, then the mtrbd. is somehow bad or some incompatibility exists. be 100% sure, no shorts or contacts on the mtrbd. are present on its backside, check!!! Alas, be 100% sure that the cpu is supported, if the manual states it is, maybe you need a bios update to fully support to the level it needs in order to do so. It all this takes too long, return the mtrbd. for replacement or try yet a different one.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
New build, old problem
by mjd420nova / July 16, 2012 6:32 AM PDT

One thing to first check is that the monitor is plugged in on the MOBO. The monitor should be on first displaying the no signal fault, then turn on the PC. If the no sig goes away but remains blank, the video BIOS is not starting. A rest needs to be initiated. If still no dispaly, pull all the parts from the case and assemble them onan anti-static surface and connect it up just like in the case. If things start working, you've got a grounded (stand-off) mounting point. I like to use plastic or nylon standoffs unless specified to be grounded in the user manual. Sometimes this leads to intermittent shorts as the MOBO gets warm and grows a little.

Collapse -
Testing
by jameswalker101 / July 17, 2012 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: New build, old problem

I have tried all that, and tried it with an identical working motherboard, but no luck. The CPU is supported, and I don't think a BIOS update is required, but how do I update that anyway without it booting?

Collapse -
I had to do that! How?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Testing

It was a bizarre case where a new CPU would only function if the BIOS was up to date. I had to install an older CPU, update the BIOS then it was ready for the new CPU. Lucky for me I had a computer shop for this.

Most folk will have to return products in such condition.
Bob

Collapse -
Try by replacing or upgrading the Power Suply
by ST08121982 / July 17, 2012 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Testing

Try to replace or upgrade your power supply ( SMPS ) by a reputed brand . You did not mention the brand and spec of your SMPS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?