PC Applications forum

General discussion

''My Favorites'' Mess

I don't know if theis is a PC application problem or a Windows XP problem, but I am hoping someone can help me. I was saving a genealogy website link into ''My Favorites'', and I suddenly had an enormous list ... it appears to be everything that is typically in the WINDOWS folder in the C: drive, plus a lot of KB######.log files.

The WINDOWS files are still where they are supposed to be (according to Windows Explorer), but how did they get into ''My Favorites''? The main problem is that I am unable to get them out. It keeps telling me that these files are ''access: denied''. So I can't move them, I can't delete them, and I can't get rid of it all. Plus, the organized folders that were in ''My Favorites'' are no longer there ... they are listed under ''My Documents''. Can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix it?

I am using a Dell Dimension 4600i with Windows XP ... if more system information is needed, please let me know ... I am not exactly computer literate, but can usually follow technical directions if given in a layperson's terms. Thanks ...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ''My Favorites'' Mess
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ''My Favorites'' Mess
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried System Restore?

In reply to: ''My Favorites'' Mess

I'd do that first.

Then again you may be infected with spyware/malware. Are you running any prevention software? If not, you can go to my site below and scroll down to the Anti-Spyware Suite. Do a little light reading and download the four best programs. For free.

Good luck,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones, internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
"My Favorites" Mess

In reply to: Have you tried System Restore?

Thank you for your suggestion ... I have not tried the system restore ... doesn't that bring everything back to where it was when I bought it? What happens to all the data, software, and settings that I have added since then? Are there instructions for how to do this?

Collapse -
You're Thinking of System Recovery

In reply to: "My Favorites" Mess

System restore takes you back to a time when things were working correctly. To find it go to control panel, click on performance and maintenance,look in the upper left side and you should see the system restore thing, just pick a date when you think it was still working ok. Also, you were right about the system recovery feature. It takes you back to the way it was when it came out of the box. Good luck, I hope this helps you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!