Storage forum

Question

My external hard disk makes a click sound before it restarts

by Akaimaru / July 22, 2011 4:30 AM PDT

I got an external hard disk WD scorpion blue 500 gb from a friend and it usually make a click sound and restart when i'm sending files on it or taking them out of it and i get Windows Delayed Write Failed can anyone help me with this ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My external hard disk makes a click sound before it restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My external hard disk makes a click sound before it restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you tell if it's spinning down?

I've had this happen with a Seagate external and had to figure out how to keep from going to power save mode by shutting down the motor.

Collapse -
Thanks but i don't think that its my problem
by Akaimaru / July 24, 2011 12:28 AM PDT

Thanks I tried to use NosleepHD v2.0 and i still got same problem, can you tell me what you did and if it worked for you ?

Collapse -
Thanks but i don't think that it my problem
by Akaimaru / July 24, 2011 12:28 AM PDT

Thanks I tried to use NosleepHD v2.0 and i still got same problem, can you tell me what you did and if it worked for you ?

Collapse -
Thanks but i don't think that its a sleep problem
by Akaimaru / July 24, 2011 12:32 AM PDT

And for clarification what do you mean by spinning down ?

Collapse -
Sorry for the late reply...here's what I had to do
by Steven Haninger / July 24, 2011 7:44 PM PDT

It was a new drive that came with software and some autorun function to configure the drive. I wanted no part of that so I wiped, repartitioned and formatted the drive. After that I was experiencing symptoms similar to what you write. I used google to research this and found that I needed something from that original software to prevent the timeout and spin down of the drive. I went to the Seagate site and downloaded the latest offering for this drive type. I had to install and run it. I believe something embedded in the drive's hardware was preventing other methods from deactivating the power save function. Anyway, while I cannot recall the exact steps used, I was able to accomplish what I wanted. Once done, I uninstalled the software and the drive behaves as I wish. By "spinning down", I just mean it enters a power save mode by parking the heads and shutting down the motor. It will restart the motor when called upon but the delay seems to make Windows unhappy. Windows seems to want to periodically access all drives and perhaps grows impatient waiting for one to return to a ready state. That's about all I can do to offer help.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
by Akaimaru / July 24, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be sure not to keep your last copy of stuff on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 12:33 AM PDT

And call it in to ask for a warranty exchange.

Bob

Collapse -
Indeed im not using it until i find a solution
by Akaimaru / July 24, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

Hopefully that there's a solution for this. I can't ask for warranty exchange since as i said it isn't me that bought it but i got it from a friend.

Collapse -
If it's the spin down/power then I see that covered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 12:50 AM PDT

If not, try starting over on the drive. Delete the partition, create a new partition, format it using the quick method and when you have time, run some HDD test app on it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.