General discussion

My Endless CHKDSK Loop Problem's Is Different Than Others!

Many other XP users posted their frustrations with how CHKDSK (i.e., CHKDSK/f) simply takes over the PC, running itself at boot-up, then restarting and re-running itself, and again ... and again ... endlessly.

All of the suggested fixes require using either the keyboard or mouse; however, I have neither available!

All during the CHKDSK loop nightmare, ALL USB ports/functions are completely dead! They have no power (lights are not on either). These devices all work properly in another PC.

This just started this weekend. It has never happened before.

I have removed everything so that only the keyboard is plugged in, and still nothing.

I have tried booting with the XP CD-ROM engaged, but the CHKDSK monster ignores it, along with everything else I've done to try and break the cycle.

Can anyone offer a solution, or even a suggestion, knowing the ONLY things I can control are the power on/off, and the restart button? That's all I can do!

Help!!!
jpo51

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My Endless CHKDSK Loop Problem's Is Different Than Others!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Endless CHKDSK Loop Problem's Is Different Than Others!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Try a PS2 keyboard
- Collapse -
I Solved My Own CHKDSK LOOP Problem! Here's How:

Yes, about 15 minutes after I posted my CHKDSK LoOP dillema, I solved it. Now I'll explain in case anyone else has the same problem.

When I realized that ALL my USB functions were dead, I thought 'what about using an older style keyboard, one that connects with a six-pin plug-in connector instead of USB?'

That worked perfectly! With no USB keyboard to control, CHKDSK surrendered my PC back to its rightful owner.

With the keyboard working, all that was needed was to choose "Restore to Previous Working Point" (during boot-up) and everything returned to normal.

Hope others find this adventure of mine helpful.
jpo51

CNET Forums

Forum Info