HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

MY DVD rom reads only Audio files.

by chiefnet / March 21, 2011 7:45 AM PDT

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio laptop PCG 7X2L running Windows Vista 32 bit.
All of a sudden my CD ROM (Matshits DVD rom 8505 ATA) stopped running. It only plays audio CDs. When I insert a video DVD i get an error RUNDLL32 stopped working. I cannot install any programs from the drive as it does not read at all.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks and regards,
chiefnet@gmail.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MY DVD rom reads only Audio files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MY DVD rom reads only Audio files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 10:01 AM PDT

If you haven't already, download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free malware removal tool from the link below. Delete anything it finds.:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

If that doesn't fix the issue, then we would swap in a new DVD drive.. They frequently simply quit working..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
subject Two Thoughts.- My DVD reads only audio files.
by chiefnet / March 21, 2011 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Two Thoughts..

subject Two Thoughts.

I have tried both and failed. I swapped the CD /DVD drive with another laptop. It worked fine in the other laptop. The other CD/DVD drive had the same problem. Both computers are clean as a whistle as I am running driver updater, Advanced System care and fix cleaner.

Collapse -
Ah...Advance System Care....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Frequently, registry cleaners/optimizers cause such problems.. In my opinion, then USUALLY cause more problems than they help.

That said, because it may be a registry issue, please follow the instructions in the link below and the "Fixit/Run Now" option listed there.:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ah...Advance System care
by chiefnet / March 22, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

Hi Grif,
Thanks a million for your continued effort.
I tried the cd/dvd fix and it did not work. Result = unrepaired.
I also tried the hardware fix there and came back as identified with a yellow exclamation mark. No fix applied.
We are back to square 1.
Any other suggestions>
Thanks
chiefnet

Collapse -
The Drive Listed In Device Manager With Yellow Exclamation?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 9:45 AM PDT

If so, open Device Manager, then double click on the 'DVD/CD-Rom Drives" so it displays the specific device.. If the device is there, RIGHT click on it, choose 'Uninstall", then restart the computer. Upon restart, Windows should recognize the device again and install the correct drivers.

If that doesn't get it done, then try visiting the computer manufacturer's website and check for an updated motherboard/Chipset driver.. Install it if they have one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Drive listed in Device Manager with yellow exclamation?
by chiefnet / March 22, 2011 2:35 PM PDT

Been there, done that. No yellow exclamation!
I think it is the windows Vista service pack 2
I am doing to restore my comp to before that date and see.
I checked the internet at Matshita.com. There are many complaints about this CD drive. This website directs you to programs which charge 30-50 bucks. I signed up for 1 (Driver update.com) and still no use.
Microsoft also had a lot of complaints about this drive. Most of them related to Vista SP2.
Thanks for your help.
If you think of something else, please let me know.
Thanks & Regards.
chiefnet.

Collapse -
(NT) Then Maybe a New Drive Is In Order?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 12:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) then new drive may be in order
by chiefnet / March 23, 2011 10:32 AM PDT

HiGrif,
Thanks a million for the suggestion.
I did put another drive in and it did the same thimg. Plays only audio files.
I still have to restore my comp to thime I installed the SP2 for windows vista. That seems to be the only hope.
Another thing I will try is tp physically remove the CD ROM and insert it in again after a re boot.
Thanks & Regards
Chiefnet.

Collapse -
It Sounds As If You're DVD Playing Software Has Failed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 1:07 AM PDT

Have you tried reinstalling the DVD playing program that was on your computer? Something like Interview's WinDVD, or Cyperlink's PowerDVD should do it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It Sounds As If You're DVD Playing Software Has Failed
by chiefnet / March 24, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

Hi Grif,
I have done that too!
I uninstalled the SP2 and no luck. I am re installing it again.
I finally found the Sony help website which has moved since I bought this comp. Downloaded everything available in terms of drivers and software. No luck there too!
Thanks & Regards
chiefnet

Collapse -
Unfortunately, Registry Cleaners Can Cause Such Problems
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2011 4:39 AM PDT

At this point, if Advance System Care has an "undo" option, I would certainly give it a try.

If that doesn't do it, tyhen you may need to run a repair install of the operating system to get back what was changed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.