Peripherals forum

General discussion

my DVD drive was removed from my computer by HP assist

by film131 / April 29, 2011 12:07 AM PDT

I've had my HP Pavillion dv6815nr for a few years. All is fine with Vista Home Premium. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a DVD and all was fine. On to other work -- I inserted a memory stick into my USB drive. The automatic HP ASSIST wanted to clean up the stick, and by accident I clicked YES. It really didn't change anything on the memory stick, but it removed the DVD from MY COMPUTER -- it's no longer there. At the same time, my RESTORE reset itself and I can't go back to before this data. When I insert a disc it just spins but doesn't play. I've checked all the drivers and related software -- all say they work fine. I just can't get the DVD to show up as part of MY COMPUTER and work. Needless to say,I cannot use my restore discs to remedy this problem. IF anyone has any insghts or ideas, I would very much appreciate any help you may offer. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my DVD drive was removed from my computer by HP assist
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my DVD drive was removed from my computer by HP assist
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might try.
by mopscare42 / April 29, 2011 5:05 AM PDT

Does the drive show up in Device Manager?
If it does, right click it, uninstall it and then re-boot the computer.
I have had that fix the problem.
If that doesn't fix it, you can Google "upper and lower filters"
You have to get into registry for that.

Collapse -
my DVD drive is not detected -- still
by film131 / April 29, 2011 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: You might try.

thank you very much but the DVD drive is still not detected. It does ot show up in the device manger and the Mr FixIt did npot detect it. I did insert a DVD and hear it spin.
Any other ideas? I'll try anything. Thanks again very much.

Collapse -
Safe mode
by mopscare42 / April 29, 2011 12:24 PM PDT

Have you tried doing a system restore in the safe mode?
Other than that, I have fixed CD/DVD problems by removing the upper and lower filters.
You can type in "How to remove upper and lower filters" in the search box at the upper right corner of this thread to get instructions as it has been discussed several times on this forum.
Just be careful in the registry if you have never been in there before.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.