Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

my dsl speed vs timeout settings while attempting downloads

paranoid here, plz help.....eventhough i am currently having probs with my dsl speed i feel the need to get my updates and the downloads that are required for such updates (ie: virus update for my spy sweeper and zonealarm suite)... problem is that due to the speed prob my 'something' keeps timing out on me during download.....i can learn to deal with the length of time it takes to d/l but am not sure of where to go to change the time settings...upon just searching and trying things i end up doing mulitple other things that have no relation to my intended goal...would anyone please care to help me and very possibly be a "pc mentor" for me in other areas as well ? any input is highly appreciated...oh yes...i am currently back onto the ie6 browser (post-uninstallation of 7), use the XP Media Edition on a dell dimension 3100....thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my dsl speed vs timeout settings while attempting downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my dsl speed vs timeout settings while attempting downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Erin, More Information Please

In reply to: my dsl speed vs timeout settings while attempting downloads

When giving us error messages, please give us EXACT wording..(those timeout error messages would sure help.)

In addition, how do you KNOW you're having DSL speed issues? Have you tested in at a variety of broadband test sites? Which speed DSL does your Internet Service Provider charge you for? 3.0 Mbps? 1.5 Mbps? 768 Kbps? Something else? In order to test the actual speed, please click on either or both of the links below and run the tests they provide. (The results may all be different but it will give you a fair

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
dsl download timeouts....

In reply to: Erin, More Information Please

thank you grif for your timely response and efforts...i tried my best to locfate the exact download attempts in my event viewer so that i may give you a quote on the error messages but to no avail....all i can say is that i feel strongly that it was referring to a set time limit that disconnects the pc after said liomit is reached, perhaps when no user activity is detected by the pc itself....as for the d/l speed tests...i have been doing these for about a week now (thus being how i learned of cnet in the first place)and after a week of trying to convince my crrier that i had a problem that wasnt mine to own they have finally come to realize that there is something wrong on their end...anyway, i ran 3 tests after you posted yesterday and came with these results....99D/32U...115.7D...and 78D/42U....as i am paying for 1,000D/256U...here's to hoping they figure it out soon...hip-hip hooray...if you still have any ideas as to where i saw that config/settings window that allowed for a time be set for inactive sessions online i would appreciate your thoughts...again thank you for donatinhg your time to the community and our needs....erin

Collapse -
Let's First Assume ...

In reply to: dsl download timeouts....

...that it NOT on their end, just to see if you can improve things..(Obviously, if the problem is their's, they will hopefully and eventually fix it.)

My first question...did you have normal connection speeds before installing Internet Explorer 7? If you did, and you believe that IE7 caused the problem, have you tried using System Restore back to a time with the machine was working correctly?

Next....

1. Have you tried switching cables and telephone wires between the modem/computer/and wall jack? Get new ones to replace the current cables or borrow cables from a friend or neighbor. (That will tell you if it's a cabling problem.) Just for our knowledge, are you using a router between the modem and the computer? Or just a modem only? How long is each one of the cables? (Between the wall and the modem? Between the modem and the computer? etc.)

2. Have you tried searching for updated firmware that might be applicable to your router or modem? (Firmware is a type of software, much like a driver, which allows those items to work correctly.)

3. Have you tried turning OFF the modem/router, then turning OFF the computer..wait for 10 minutes, then turn the modem/router back on again, wait for a couple of minutes for it to initialize, then turn the computer on again?

4. Are you using an ethernet connection to the modem or a USB connection? If ethernet, have you checked the computer manufacturer or ethernet card manufacturer's site for updated drivers.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
...because we would hate to make an a## out of u and me...

In reply to: Let's First Assume ...

well, despite my level of (in-)experience, when i began having pc issues (whew! and boy have i had them)i just sort of dove right in and started using the help option to troubleshoot and what i could...so here's a brief rundown on your questions above...i did have normal speeds pre- and post-IE7 (i think, never tested before now but had no complaints)...had no restore points saved either and had run the ccleaner several times (yes, i know now...)...replaced and switched cables for about two hours...phone cable was crackling but i replaced it...modem only and the cable from it to the wall is probably 12 ft. (only jack in the room; would it make any difference to run the cable and then add the filter with another shorter cable from the modem to the pc?)...the ethernet looks to be 4 ft...upon searching the net for firmware (never found any) i found the config page and user's guide for my preset modem...tried their suggested complete shut down for 4 minutes, turned modem back on and waited for all solid lights before powering the pc...have not checked for card updates but will get on that immediately (<<<"hands-on" type :)...and continuing to search for the setting that controls user-inactive internet connections and session time...

again i thank you and will check back for any other input you may have...erin

Collapse -
Since You Used CCleaner...

In reply to: ...because we would hate to make an a## out of u and me...

Collapse -
ok, so its not the ISP...

In reply to: Since You Used CCleaner...

i spoke yesterday with my provider again and he stated that nobody else was having toubles and that i would get a call soon...and a charge for in-home service...but the reason im here is that after running the winsock u suggested i attempted a download..this is the exact error....Internet Explorer cannot download this file ...the connection to the network has been reset...any idea how i can adjust this reset setting? i really need my updates and really just anxious to get online free from parameters...ty for ur help....erin

Collapse -
Download The File On Friend or Family Member's Computer...

In reply to: ok, so its not the ISP...

...then copy the file to a floppy disk or a CD, then use the floppy/CD on your computer to run the file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.