TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

My dream of a home theater has died :,(

by bkchurch / April 20, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Just got back from my future college today and unfortunately learned that freshman have to stay in the dorms the first year and single dorms and suites are only available to upper classmen. My home theater dream was so close to being realized, I had the projector picked out, I knew how to make a nice neutral gray screen for super cheap, I had my cable situation worked out; and then that dream was beaten to death, burned, and spit on. This truly blows, and I found this out just in time to miss the XBR970 sale at CC for $650 and now it's back to $1000. Well maybe I'll just get a 37" Vizio, this years models really aren't half bad. On the plus side I love my college, the dorms are pretty nice (just too small for a pj), and the program I'm going into is awesome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My dream of a home theater has died :,(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My dream of a home theater has died :,(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a year
by HTHMAN / April 20, 2007 11:57 AM PDT

or two, the equipment will be twice as good and half the price.

Collapse -
Ok I spoke prematurely
by bkchurch / April 20, 2007 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: In a year

The boys and girls over at AVSForum have got me back in business. The dream is still ALIVE!

Collapse -
MR CHURCH GOOD LUCK IN COLLAGE
by stewart norrie / April 21, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

I have an idea for you. You seem to have a passion for Home Theater.So here is a little story for you. I buy all my electronics from this hi-end home theater store here in San Jose ca. Anyway the installers are real pros and they have a passion for home theater just like you, They are well paid and are sent to training classes all over the u.s.a.I do know one of his installers opened up his own hi-end business and is going very well Fact is there will always be rich folks and always a need for hi-end home theater installations JUST SOMETHING FOR YOU TO PONDER ABOUT. stewe

Collapse -
Sounds like a cool idea
by bkchurch / April 21, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

I will be taking a few business courses and might minor in it to add to my major in New Media and the art classes I'm taking on the side. So if my aspirations to design video games crash and burn maybe I could open up a home theater place.

Collapse -
Been there, done that! You're lucky!
by Cadillac84 / April 21, 2007 7:33 AM PDT

Having your dream HT setup in your Freshman dorm room is a plan for a one-year college career. They have done you a favor. Study instead of watching TV and you'll avoid the four or five year detour many of us took by having "less than stellar" Freshman years at college.

Good luck!

Chuck

Collapse -
as a graduate...
by woodygg / April 22, 2007 2:43 AM PDT

this is good advice. get off to a good start in college, it'll be over before you know it. get some momentum (study hard, take all the classes you can handle without overloading yourself). you'll be glad you did in a few years. worry about getting a job/internship somewhere in the fields you're interested in - that can help quite a bit.

Collapse -
IT REALLY IS A SHAME that you spent more time looking.....
by norlfolkcentral / April 21, 2007 5:03 PM PDT

Into a Home Theater than you did your college of choice. If you had, you would have known about their resident requirements. As another poster said, the college is really doing a favour. Best wishes in the fall, and save up for a fantastic (HDTV) graduation gift to yourself.

Collapse -
Um no
by bkchurch / April 22, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

I researched the hell out of my colleges, nobody knew about the new freshmen living situation until just recently as it's a newly implemented rule.

Collapse -
hey... look at the bright side...
by woodygg / April 22, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

by the time you can buy your setup, everything will be better and cheaper!!! (hey - just trying to help!) Happy

Collapse -
hey BK
by jaymzbo / April 23, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

Sorry I never got back to you about the PQ of XBR970 question you had for me (in response to a post I made a week or so ago). I have been so busy I have not really been able to spend time on computer or mess around on my new tv. But quickly, the pq on standard defintion cable tv is soft and looks washed, but not as bad as I had thought it would. I have no issues watching sd cable for the moment as it looked as good as it did on my old tv (maybe a couple of stations look worse but no big deal). BR movies at 1080i over PS3 through HDMI, dvds upconverted to 1080i look very good and sharp to my eyes. I did not notice any geometry issues. I hope that helps. If you need more info please feel free to ask me,

I hope you don't give up on the projector idea. It seems like it might be the most practical choice as far as space goes. Plus, you seem to really like that one model (mitsubishi, right?) I love my xbr970, but man is it bulky not to mention heavy. I use it as a bedroom tv but had to rearrange the entire house and remove the bedroom door just to get it in my room. Which I am sure you agree may be an impossibility in a small dorm room with roommate(s) unless you have a free and large corner of room.

Enjoy your years at college. I hope you do get the opportunity to explore home theater while you're there. It seems to be directly related to the field you'll be studying. I don't need to tell you how much the worlds of home audio/video and gaming have merged and knowlege/experience in both can only serve to further give you an edge in your future career. And having a love for sci-fi, fantasy, video games, video tech, etc., does not automatically mean you have to miss out on all of the other great stuff college has to offer...I am sure that you'd "get out of the room" from time to time and make the most of your years there.

Good luck to you in your search for that right hdtv/projector/monitor. I know how much you have researched this and how frustrating it can be to go back and forth between models. Just remain persistent. It will all work out. As you have already found out, the price of the xbr970 which returned briefly to its higher price has already dropped again. It sounds like you're aware of one of the most important issues in this matter....finding a college and tract/major to pursue.

Never let the dream die....James

Collapse -
Thanks man
by bkchurch / April 23, 2007 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: hey BK

Quite the inspirational little speech haha. Glad you're enjoying the XBR though I keep hearing great things about it. Funny though I've actually found a new home theater realm I'm checking out: CRT projectors. I've done some extensive research and not only can a good one be had for super cheap but the video quality is just stunning, from the images I've seen these things can project an image that looks as sharp as an LCD, as vibrant as a plasma, and as a accurate as a CRT, with black blacks to boot. I think that's the route I may ultimately end up going (lol how many times have I said that now) but my friends seem to think the idea of putting a home theater in the dorm would be pretty cool. I'll keep ya posted.

Collapse -
bkchurch...
by hyghwayman / April 23, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks man

If you get the XBR970 you wont have to worrie as much about some stoned senior lifting it out of your dorm romm, hehe.

Anyways, Godd Luck this coming fall! I just started my first year of college last fall. I had not time at all for TV or gaming, but I'm 41 yrs young with a wife and two teenage boys!

Sincerely,
hyghwayman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?