Cameras forum

General discussion

my dream digicam doesn't exist, does it....

by mollybee1 / December 13, 2006 11:44 AM PST

So I want to upgrade to my first digital SLR, and it's getting discouraging. I have an active toddler and the shutter lag with the old Sony CyberShot means that we have lots of photos of him running away. I also want to be able to do good travel photography, too, like I used to with my old Nikon SLRs.

What I want is a camera under $1,000 with:
1) great photo quality (don't need higher than 8mp, or even 6mp)
2) autofocus
3) no shutter lag
4) removable lenses
5) "Live View" like the Olympus Evolt E-330, lets you frame images using the LCD screen

Not deal-breakers, but I'd also like:

6) movie capability
7) self-cleaning
Cool white balance and exposure bracketing

Can someone tell me if this camera exists, and if so, where can I find it? Many thanks!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my dream digicam doesn't exist, does it....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my dream digicam doesn't exist, does it....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dream Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 13, 2006 11:40 PM PST

You are right.....your dream camera does not exist.

Only the Olympus D-330 has a live-view LCD.

I don't know of any DSLR camera with a movie mode.
With a reflex camera (looking through the lens), it would be very expensive to add video mode.

There are several self-cleaning DSLR cameras.

I don't believe I have ever heard of white balance bracketing.
If the camera has RAW, you have total control over white balance after the picture is taken.

Collapse -
finding the dream digicam
by mollybee1 / December 14, 2006 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Dream Camera

Hi Snapshot2--

I looked into the Olympus D-330 and am pretty sure that I'm going to get it. It has most of what I want, and that will be good enough.

If you go to dpreview.com, there is an explanation of white balance bracketing in its glossary section, which is where I first heard of it. Apparently the D-330 has the capability for white balance bracketing, as well as auto bracketing (3 frame burst).

Here's the link:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Exposure/Auto_Bracketing_01.htm

Thanks for the confirmation--it helped me to let go of my unrealistic expectations!

Collapse -
WB bracketing
by hjfok / December 15, 2006 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: Dream Camera

Canon 30D also has WB bracketing and WB shift functions

WB bracketing
? +/-3 levels
? 3 images
? blue/amber or magenta/green bias

WB shift
? Blue (-9) To Amber (+9)
? Magenta (-9) to Green (+9)

Collapse -
This was the best combination
by nac55 / December 15, 2006 1:08 AM PST

Sony made these two models DSC-M1 and DSC-M2 and they where the best solution for your needs , if you find any camera that can do the same with the same easy of operation please let me know.

Collapse -
Action photo for active toddler
by hjfok / December 18, 2006 9:35 AM PST

Sounds like you have decided on the Olympus EVOLT E-330 with live LCD view. It is a good camera. But I'm not sure whether the live view on LCD screen is going to help you very much with a very active toddler. When I take pics of my active 2 year old, especially in low light or indoor, I use fast burst (5fps without flash) along with the appropriate lens and ISO settings. Then I review the burst of photos and decide on which one to keep. If you take the photo shot by shot with review before and after each shot, you may miss a lot of potential great moments. There is also a time lag between your eyes and your finger depressing the button to take the photo, I mean your reaction time which varies a lot.
And don't toss your old point-and-shot camera. Save it and get a waterproof housing or zip-bag to take photos with the toddler in the water. You can get great photos with big splash that you will never dare to try with your $1000+ DSLR. The Olympus EVOLT E-330 has an optional waterproof housing but costs more than the camera itself.

Collapse -
My dream camera
by BowerR64 / December 19, 2006 3:57 AM PST

I want an SLR with

Hotshoe
built in flash
raw
swivel LCD
removable lenses
SD memory
standard battery power like NiMH AA or somthign i can get at walmart.

So far the onlything that fits what i want is the canon S3 but there is no RAW or hotshoe its the only thing it really lacks ide want.

Collapse -
DSLR
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: My dream camera

If you don't need the swivel LCD screen, then the Nikon D80 will fit your requirements. The Nikon D80 can accept SD memory cards, and has an optional vertical battery grip that can use AA batteries. Other requirements are pretty standard for an entry level or mid-range DSLR. If you don't require SD memory cards (and able to accept compact flash), then Canon Rebel XTi may also satisfy the other requirements (it also has an optional vertical battery grip that use AA batteries).

If you need a LCD that can swivel to let you see your composition at some difficult angle, you can try the Zigview S2. This is a detachable LCD screen that has a component attached to the camera's viewfinder. The image will appear in real time on the LCD screen that can rotate 300

Collapse -
DSLR options
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: My dream camera

And I forgot to mention another wireless viewfinder that can be considered as an alternative to the Zigview S2. It's called the Pro-View Wireless Display. Here is the link:
http://www.proviewsite.com/order.html

The Olympus Evolt E 330 is the only DSLR that comes with a live LCD view. If you need LCD to compose your photos, then the Zigview series and the Pro-view are accessories that help you to do that with other DSLRs. But most people using DSLR don't mind using the standard viewfinder to compose their shots.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.