Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

MY DOCUMENTS PROLIFERATION

by Tathraman / October 17, 2006 4:23 PM PDT

I have XP SP2, and when I go to C/documents and settings, I find 12 folders titled variously Owner****, Administrator.David*** and the rest are Owners***. They all have different contents, making it rather difficult to find things. I haven't knowingly created these folders. I intend to try to compact them into one folder and delete the others. Good idea? and also try to prevent more folders appearing. TIA
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MY DOCUMENTS PROLIFERATION
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MY DOCUMENTS PROLIFERATION
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be Careful With Those Various Profiles
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

Each one of the various users has been created by an administrator of the computer, at one time or another, and will have a separate set of desktop settings and a different set of "My Documents" folders.. If you are the only one using the computer then there should be an "Owner" profile, an "Administrator" profile, a "Default User", and an "All Users" profile. (The last two are default settings used by Windows so it's best to leave them alone.) If there are other users of the computer, then they also will have folders with various names.. That's the way it's supposed to be.. As long as there are no other users of the computer, then any of the others can safely be removed by using the "User Accounts" icon in the Control Panel. Each one of those profiles should be listed in the "User Accounts" section except for "Administrator" which may only be visible on an XP HOME machine after restarting into Safe Mode..

Before removing the unnecessary user profiles, it's best to grab all your important documents and files from each of the various users and consolidate them into your current profile, which on most XP HOME computers is "Owner". Be sure to keep the "Administrator" profile as a backup profile.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Griff is right about being careful and almost right...
by Edward ODaniel / October 18, 2006 3:55 AM PDT

about how those profiles got there (although he did forget to mention another that shows up after installing .NET).

Before making up your mind to do anything do yourself a favor and read this link that better explains how username.computername.000 format profiles show up so you can also get a handle on fixing the causes.

PS - ignore that it mentions windows 2000 because it applies to all other versions of NT also (which includes XP).

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314045\How to restore a user profile in Windows 2000

The title doesn't appear to apply but if you read it you should IMMEDIATELY see the light (not only in causes but in recovery before deletion).

Have fun!

Collapse -
A Better Link...And Almost Right.. ;-)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 6:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, Grif and Edward
by Tathraman / October 20, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

Now I've got something to do this weekend!
David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.