Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Documents

by Farmboy / April 4, 2005 10:13 PM PDT

I am runnning Win XP Pro, I moved the my documents folder off the C Drive onto a seperate hard drive (D Drive) in case of an OS or hard drive crash. Well my C Drive crashed. I got a new C Drive and put Windows back on it. I was able to get onto the D Drive with no problems. I can access other folders on the D Drive just fine. But I cannot get into the My Documents folder. If I look at the folder properties it is 0 bytes in size. But from the disk management consloe it shows a healthy disk that is 7.5GB used (7 GB My Documents, .5 GB other stuff). Any thoughts on how I get in there? I think it has to do with permissions. I am and administrator. I do not remember exactly how I moved the My Documents. I saw it written down somewhere.

Any help would be great,
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: My Documents

1. That's a myth. What is a myth? That another drive, partition or such will save your files. Only by copying it out of the machine and moving it away from the machine can you be sure you have your backup.

Your post is yet again proving this to be the case.

2. What I would try. TAKE OWNERSHIP of that other directory and files. Mark wrote:

"Try the instructions here;
http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

or Microsoft's KB article here;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Mark

Posted by: MarkFlax "

Bob

Collapse -
It Worked
by Farmboy / April 5, 2005 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 things.

That worked, thanks.
I know that I didn't really have a "back-up" per se. I just wanted my data to have a little space from the OS. I guess if I had a back up I could've loaded that and been good.

Thanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!