Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Docs folder opening a mixed menu

Dell 8350, 1G DDR SDRAM, 40G HD, XP-2

When I open the My Documents folder the My Music files open along (mixed) with all the My Documents folders. How do I get the My Music files out of the My Docs folder menu and back where they belong? There is also a My Music folder placed correctly in the My Docs folder. It too has all the music files correctly placed. So there are double My Music files. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Brady

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Docs folder opening a mixed menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Docs folder opening a mixed menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
was there...

In reply to: My Docs folder opening a mixed menu

possibly some inadvertant slip of a mouse drag that caused a duplicate of all the music files in the My Music folder to be created in the main level of the My Documents folder? Or are all the rogue items in the main level all shortcuts?

Very carefully drill down from the My Computer icon to your C:\ drive and look at the various items in full detail view. If not already set so, you should also turn on "show extension" and "show hidden files" and view it all with the "Folders" button on the menu toolbar turned on. This way you will be able see exactly what is where. If these extras are just that, extras that got created in some unknown manner, you can just delete them while leaving the originals intact inside the My Music folder within the main My Documents folder.

dw

Collapse -
Here is one way to do it

In reply to: My Docs folder opening a mixed menu

Guessing you have more music folders than other folders in MY DOCUMENTS, i would make a new folder in My documents and drag all the other folders into it for safe keeping(Not the music files). Highlight the new folder and click on Edit and choose invert selection. make sure the new folder is not highlighted but all the music files are. Now right click any music file and choose Delete ( you said you have the songs in your Music folder). Open the new folder and press CTRL+A on the keyboard, right click any folder and choose COPY(Don't use CUT because you want to make sure the transfer works OK, Click the Back Button and right click any where in the My Documents area and click Paste. If all looks OK you Can delete the new folder.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.