Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"My discussions" say "none"

and i bet this one doesn't show up on "my discussions" link page either - anyone know why - is it because i am australian and we are winning toooo many gold medals????
Peter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "My discussions" say "none"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "My discussions" say "none"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
14 & 37 vs 25 & 72

In reply to: "My discussions" say "none"

You Aussies are doing a bang up job on medals, with 14 Gold and 37 total, but don't you think we Yanks deserve at least an honorable mention, with 25 Gold and 72 total?

Collapse -
australia population only 25 million!!!!

In reply to: 14 & 37 vs 25 & 72

yes that's right 25m - and the population of usa, china, ussr and germany are .........??? but we are a modest lot!!

Collapse -
Re: australia population only 25 million!!!!

In reply to: australia population only 25 million!!!!

I've worked and played with you Aussies, and I can attest that you all have a great gene pool down under.

Your Olympic "Mob" certainly has given a very good showing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: 282 million or so for US

In reply to: australia population only 25 million!!!!

Collapse -
Re: "My discussions" say "none"

The "My Discussions" feature works like this: when you want to be notified that new posts have been added to a thread that interests you, click on the "subscribe" button after opening the thread. Then you will get email notice of new posts made to those threads to which you have subscribed, and the threads you have subscribed to can be also be accessed by clicking the "My Discussions" link.

You aren't automatically notified of posts made to threads that you start, or to new posts in threads that contain posts of yours. This feature kicks in only after you activate it by clicking the "subscribe" button.

Click on the "subscribe" button below this post and check it out.

Gold medals? Are you saying that Australians can swim? If so I'll have to agree!

DE

Collapse -
swim, row, jump and make good lovers as well

In reply to: Re: "My discussions" say "none"

thanks for that will try the "subscribeL button and see what happens - may even get gold!
thanks again
peter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Humble too ;-)

In reply to: swim, row, jump and make good lovers as well

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) u wouldn't like to make it 21,170,182+1 would u ???

In reply to: (NT) Humble too ;-)

Collapse -
Honestly, I don't care

In reply to: (NT) u wouldn't like to make it 21,170,182+1 would u ???

Collapse -
Re: Honestly, I don't care

In reply to: Honestly, I don't care

Are you checking the cable channels, too? I've seen a bunch of events covered at pretty good length on NBC's other stations. I've seen more than a few horses, too. But in general, and as usual, I find the coverage frustrating.

nbcolympics.com has tv schedules for all the stations.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Honestly, I don't care

In reply to: Re: Honestly, I don't care

I check the channels whenever I'm home but haven't seen any. I check the listings on what is being shown but it's always track, volleyball, gymnastics, rowing - at any rate no horses. I saw that they were going to show some on Friday but not while I was home.

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
sorry i exaggerated - it's 21,170,182!!!

this is an estimate by the australia bureau of statistic as of today

Collapse -
No problem there considering that...

In reply to: sorry i exaggerated - it's 21,170,182!!!

Australia was originally a prison colony and obviously inherited a gene pool from an inordinate percentage of fast escape artists. Wink

Most of the rest of the participating countrys have to rely on gene inheritance from a much smaller pool. Devil

DaRe

Collapse -
Re: No problem there considering that...

In reply to: No problem there considering that...

probably why we can swim so well - did u know australia is the biggest island and far from anywhere??

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you may have an argument with Greenland there...

In reply to: Re: No problem there considering that...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no arguments we are the biggest Island (and swimmers!!

In reply to: (NT) you may have an argument with Greenland there...

Collapse -
Re: (NT) no arguments we are the biggest Island (and swimme

In reply to: (NT) no arguments we are the biggest Island (and swimmers!!

An island as defined by Britannica:

"any area of land smaller than a continent and entirely surrounded by water. Islands may occur in oceans, seas, lakes, or rivers. A group of islands is called an archipelago."

Why is Australia considered an island and a continent, but Greenland is not? From Yahoo: http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20040409.html

From Guinnesses:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=47668
"Largest Island
Discounting Australia, which has an area of 7,682,300 sq km. (2,966,200 sq miles) but is usually regarded as a continental landmass, the largest island in the world is Greenland, with an area of about 2,175,600 sq km (840,000 sq miles)".

http://www.geobop.com/world/Facts/Geography/Islands/
"The Worlds Largest Islands" shows Greenland #1 and New Guinea as #2

From http://www.bartleby.com/59/15/greenland.html
"Greenland is the largest island in the world. (Australia is larger but is officially a continent, not an island."

Australia is sometimes called an Island Continent.
Australia is the world's sixth largest country and the smallest of its seven continents. It is the only country to occupy an entire continent, and the only permanently inhabited continent lying wholly in the southern hemisphere.

Like the Yahoo link indicated:
The dictionary simply defines Australia as a continent, and an "island" as anything surrounded by water that's smaller than a continent.

Meself, I could go along with Australia being called the largest Island or smallest continent. Happy

JR

Collapse -
why didn't u just ask me

In reply to: Re: (NT) no arguments we are the biggest Island (and swimme

i could have told u all that - but naturally we claim to be an island (the biggest of course) and a continant as well - it must be true though, because all our geography books say we are!!!!!

Peter

Collapse -
They finally got all our geography books to say Texas

In reply to: why didn't u just ask me

is not the largest state in the USA.

We used to have a store here in San Antonio which advertised on radio, TV, and newspapers:

"Joskey's, The Largest Store In The Largest State in the United States"

It was replaced by Mervyn's some years ago, still a viable store but not as high-end.

Tried my best to visit OZ when I was visiting quite a few Far East nations during the 60's while in the USAF. Did manage to get a couple beautiful Opal nuggets from Australia tho from another visitor.

Cheers with the Foster beer I like. (Think it's coming out of Canada)

JR

Collapse -
Re: No problem there considering that...

Matter of fact although most consider it a Continent I have no problem accepting it as an island. You think the swimmers are good from trying to get there or get away from there? Wink

Normally around here when Australia comes up in discussions it is compared to females. When the British used it as a penal colony it was young, unexplored and intersting. As time passed it became more like a matron, secure, sedate, reliable and comfortable. Now days it is more like an octogenarian--everyone knows it is down there but no one gives a darn. Devil

PS - Actually I was there on R&R in 1968 and fell in love with the place and the people even though I only saw a small part of it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its a lot different now than it was in 68

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Aren't we all!?!

In reply to: (NT) its a lot different now than it was in 68

Collapse -
sadly - yes

In reply to: (NT) Aren't we all!?!

take it u were on an aircraft carrier or similar - if i remember we used to get a lot of u blokes here on leave from the navy inparticular - were u permanent force or conscript.
Luckly though i was a little too young for Nam but then ended up in Sth Africa in a similar situation as my parents moved and draggged me with them when i was 16.
My brother stayed in Australia as he was about 19 - his name came up on the ballot and was due to go to Nam in January of the following year - but in the November(i think) of the same year it was all over.
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.