General discussion

My Desktop going pretty slow

My desktop has been running very slow for the fast 2-3 months.I clean & defragment my hard drive, run MS Security Essentials, Keep my OS updated but still it is pretty slow.Booting takes 30~40 seconds and opening up an application take5`7 seconds.It is really annoying.
My Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180@ 2.00Ghz X2
RAM: 1GB DDR2
GPU: Intel GMA G31
MB: Intel DG31PR
HDD: 160 GB Maxtor

Any solutions?
Thanks,
ALi

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My Desktop going pretty slow
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Desktop going pretty slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First, before I can recommend you a solution.

How many DIMM slots you have occupied and available on this Intel MB?

How much reserve RAM does your Intel GMA G31's video/graphics GPU have? Card or Chipset?

So far, as I read your post, you seem to have, pretty successfully, so far, used a barebone PC for quite a bit of time.

I really do hope you can give us answers to these two main questions. I do guess that you've updated your drivers quite often enough, so far.

- Collapse -
Detailed Info:

Max video memory= 224mb

? Two 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
? Support for DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz DIMMs
? Support for up to 4 GB of system memory using DDR2 800 or DDR2
667 DIMMs

I update my drivers regularly

- Collapse -
I can't tell if this is an IDE drive.
- Collapse -
Seem pretty decent to me

A 30 - 40 second bootup is pretty quick considering systems i've used. Do you have many programs installed? How many run at startup? That can slow down a computer considerably as well as processes running in the background. For comparison my laptop is running Win7 on a i7 with 6gb ram and a TB of hdd space used to boot in 10 seconds and now takes roughly 20 to 30 seconds to completely boot and be usable while my old deskop running a 2.93ghz celeron with 256mb ram adn 500gb hdd on XP boots near instantly. And a 5 - 7 second startup for programs isnt all that bad considering your system specs unless thats 5 minutes 7 seconds, then something is definitely wrong. I'll recommend the usuals, disk scan to check for a corrupted file system, virus scan conflicting software, check for incorrectly installed drivers etc.

Question of my own; Whats the verdict on MS Security Essentials, I keep hearing its good, i hear its bad, how well does it stand up at guarding your PC?

- Collapse -
RE: MS Security Essentials

The MS Security Essentials is a very good antivirus.It does not take much memeory during scans and is pretty fast.I have been using it both on a desktop and a laptop and it gives no problem.I also recommend it to you if u have genuine windows.It updates quickly, has an simple and easy to use interface.It is the best I have ever used!

CNET Forums

Forum Info