HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

Question

My desktop computer won't turn on. Power supply issue?

by ryno9964 / January 15, 2015 5:42 AM PST

Hello, my self-built desktop computer (which is only a year old, with two upgrades) decided to stop working this morning. When I woke up, it was fine, but I noticed that the LED on my mouse (which is always on) turned off. I tried to turn on the PC, but to no avail. I've plugged it into different sockets, lamp-tested the sockets, made sure breakers were working, but i get nothing. Is this an issue with my PSU, or my motherboard.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220
MB: Biostar HiFi B85+
PSU: Rosewill 500w

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My desktop computer won't turn on. Power supply issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My desktop computer won't turn on. Power supply issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Hard drive and MM CPU
by Knight2015 / February 5, 2016 2:45 PM PST

Im fixing a old pc but when i recontacted the hd to MM the power is dead but the funny thing when i dont contacted it it turns on

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you read Rosewill reviews
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2015 7:41 AM PST

They are mixed. We can test almost all PC power supplies with a Volt Meter and the "Green Wire Test" (see google.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Have you contacted the PSU mfg...should still be under
by VAPCMD / January 15, 2015 10:16 AM PST

warranty.

So fans don't turn on ?

No activity from the MB ?

No beeps ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Nope, nothing
by ryno9964 / January 16, 2015 4:09 AM PST

It's pretty much dead. I haven't contacted support yet, but i will pretty soon. Just a note: When i first woke up that day, it was fine, but i actually saw the mouse led turn off right when it happened! So, it;s not a result of me just screwing around with things i shouldn't be.

Collapse -
Answer
50/50...but I hope it's the PSU,
by Oldartq / January 16, 2015 6:00 AM PST

It's lot easier to replace. But if anyone wants to bet, my money is on mobo being the bad guy. Sorry.

Collapse -
Answer
could this be because
by James Denison / January 18, 2015 1:25 PM PST

you shoved an Intel processor in an AMD motherboard?

Collapse -
Lol, but no.
by ryno9964 / January 19, 2015 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: could this be because

Well, my computer just started working again! I'm replying on it right now. Apparantly it might have have been a power issue after all. Now I can game in peace!

Collapse -
Don't just let it go
by jimpoma / January 23, 2015 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Lol, but no.

Sounds like it could be a thermal shutdown because of a heat condition of your CPU. Once the unit cools down it will function again but most likely will shut down again if it heats up. Check your CPU fan to make sure that it is functioning. By the way are you doing any overclocking of your CPU and or Memory?
It is also possible for the same fan and overheating problem with the power supply so also check that. It is not likely that it is the motherboard itself as you would not be up and running again. Even after it cooled down.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Seems classic "bad caps" issue
by Willy / February 6, 2015 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Lol, but no.

Bad caps can be anywhere on the PC to include the PSU. Also, PSU by themselves will act wonky and since you are a gamer that maybe attributing factor due to wear&tear and thermal stress. As the others offered similar insight, but swapping out a "ROSEWILL" PSU should be a well advised repair even if working now, that a classic systom of "bad caps".

http://www.badcaps.net

Review the examples given and check your PC innards closely.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
can be solved
by BettyMaldonado / February 5, 2015 6:26 PM PST

Well, yea if PC has been off of course power supply is the problem......... it is not a big issue because by replacing the plug point or connection it can be easily solved.........my computer just started working again! I'm replying on it right now. Sudden shutdown is occurred due to the thermal shutdown of the CPU...........Once CPU cools down the system will starts functioning again..........Check your CPU whether is it working or not?
If, still after clearing all these problems if the system is not working then the problem will be in its motherboard. Replacing of motherboard is the only solution..............

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.