Desktops forum

General discussion

my desktop

Hi,
I got a desktop and the specs are 3.2p4(640) ht fsb 800mhz 2mb l2 cache, 160gig h/d sata, x550 256mb(ati)graphics card, 2gig ddr kingston pc3200 ram 400 mhz, sound blaster audigy zs card and intel motherboard 915 gav with 915g chip set also 17 inch lcd monitor.
i want to know if it is wise to upgrade my motherboard to 945p or 955x chipset and ram to ddr2 what you guys think? i was told my desktop was not good enough to keep up with the times.
or i should just do a graphic card upgrade!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What idiot told you that ?

In reply to: my desktop

Mind me by saying idiot, but those are great specs.
You got plenty of RAM, a great 64-bit processor, and a sound card/GPU. You can upgrade to Vista with that system no problems. If you aren't a serious computer user, then that sytem cast last you about 2-4 years. Don't upgrade to the new chipsets yet as Intel and AMD are releasing new processors, and give time for the bugs work out. 2gb is plenty of RAM and DDR2 can wait. Just wondering? What do you use your computer for? Your system specs look fine.

Collapse -
my desktop

In reply to: What idiot told you that ?

Honestly i would a coulpe of pc games such as f.e.a.r world of warcraft civilizatioon 4 and mostly for mp3 and occasionally burn or make dvd movies. Not a heavy pc gamer.

Collapse -
The a good graphics card will help you there

If you got the budget for a new graphics card then you will get help in your gaming department. I would get an ATI Radeon X800XL($200) or a GeForce 7800GT($300), or a GeForce 7800GTX($500). There are plenty of other cards out there like the nVidia 6600 and 6800 series. The graphics card will help you with the games. Since you already have more than enough RAM and a good processor, the games will run fine. As you said you will not use your PC heavily, so some minor upgrades will keep it running for a long time. What would be your budget for a graphics card?

Collapse -
my destop

In reply to: The a good graphics card will help you there

Thks well budget for a graphics card it is not huge i would say within $200-$300 range. I saw online nivida 6600gt video card but it is a 128mb though would that make a difference in performance as my video card now is 256mb. The other cards like 7800gt or gtx and 6800gt are pricy right now it looks like the choice is between ati x800xl or nvidia 6600gt which is better choice based on graphic capability.

Collapse -
You can get a 7800GT for about $300 with sale

In reply to: my destop

Well no doubt X800XL is better, but you can also get a 6800GS which is great to. Get the X800XL, you won't regret it. Best value for a GPU today. Make sure you have a PCI-E slot.

Collapse -
my desktop

In reply to: You can get a 7800GT for about $300 with sale

Thks for your reply I would definitely get X800XL and yes I do hve a PCI-E port.

Collapse -
Yea other than that you are fine

As I have said before you have a great dekstop ready for the future. You have a 64-bit processor that will run 64-bit programs(Vista), plenty of RAM, and nice set of other components. A new graphics card will be ideal with your desktop and compliment yourself with a new set of speakers( I say 5.1 or better) for your sound card(unless you already have speakers), and let those games really let you game.
Good luck.

Collapse -
my desktop

In reply to: Yea other than that you are fine

I do hve 5.1 speakers not the best they are logitech x530 around 125w they sound good also i hve 16x dvd dual write drive but i will get another 16x dvd drive prob another 160 gig h/d sata for large downloads. thks

Collapse -
my desktop

just to let you know i will getting a new graphic card it is evga 7800gt oc pcie 256mb for like $526 (cdn) at www.tigerdirect.ca bundle with 600w power supply as i hven't bought one to chg ati radeon x550.
it an amazing deal also the reviews claim speed of card is almost equal to gt7800 gtx as it is oc already frm factory as it will complete pc also i will chg power supply frm 350w to 600w.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.