General discussion

My Dell laptop's DVD drive died

It appears to me as though my Dell laptop's DVD drive has died. Perhaps it isn't a surprise, as it is a 5 year old laptop. It is an Inspiron 9200 laptop. I've put both DVDs and music CDs into it, and basically it does "Huh? What's this?"

At this point I REALLY don't want to get another laptop (can't afford it) and so I'm wondering if it is possible to put any good brand laptop DVD into my Dell laptop?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My Dell laptop's DVD drive died
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Dell laptop's DVD drive died
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For most laptops

You use laptop dvdrw drives from newegg.com or other places. There are IDE and SATA types so that's about all there is to it. If you want instructions you can google DELL INSPIRON MODEL DOCUMENTATION (correct to match the model) and you see how to change it out.

Figure about 50 to fix.
Bob

- Collapse -
Can you use an external DVD?

Would it be possible to use an external DVD instead?

- Collapse -
For what use?

Some can't get USB externals to boot. Others learn about CD/DVD creation software locked to the old drive and more lament how games can't find the game CD.

This and more reasons beyond the fact I pay more for externals has me spend the 20 or less minutes installing the new DVDRW drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thank you for this additional info.

CNET Forums

Forum Info