by jci32 / January 23, 2006 8:29 AM PST

here are the specs if you need them:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1400MHz 1.40GHz
256 MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 with 64 MB of memory
37.2 GB harddrive
250 watt power supply

here's my situation:

I just bought for my computer a new video card, power supply, and dvd drive (for better gaming, etc.)

I got the XFX GeForce 6600 256MB video card, a TruePower 430 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU Power Supply, and I dont remember the type of dvd drive but i dont think it matters.

heres my problem:
the power supply didn't fit right ... it didn't line up right with the opening for the plug. Shouldnt it fit since its ATX and it matches with my motherboard? Also, the Dvd drive didnt fit .. i found this odd cause i thought you could put any dvd drive in your computer.
Im pretty sure the video card will be fine but I wont know until I install the new power supply (I cant see why there would be a problem with it though)

heres my question:
Do I have to get the power supply and dvd drive through dell? .. I know dell is sort of like this, i cant even get an ink cartridge without ordering it off their website. if this isn't the case, then can anyone help me figure out why they didnt fit?

Thank you very much. Im sorry if you cant understand some of the stuff i said, I dont know much about computers, but am slowly learning lol. Thanks again i really appreciate it.

-Jci

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Dell Inspiron 4300 ... need help BADLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Dell Inspiron 4300 ... need help BADLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dells use proprietary psus
by nerdyboy1234 / January 23, 2006 10:38 AM PST

so u will have to buy from pc power & cooling...google that...their power supplies are rather expensive but are one of the best and reliable

the dvd drive should fit....

the graphics card should work fine.

Collapse -
Dell is different
by Willy / January 23, 2006 9:46 PM PST

Yes, Dell uses ATX class psu, but they "physically" differ the psu in order to keep you in the fold. That means whatever psu source you get outside of Dell *MUST* state its for Dell usage. Older psus of certain models differ also in the "wiring" as well but Dell got away from that as to cut costs and maintain typical ATX wiring scheme. Also, depending on the model Dell uses LEDs that state the condition of the psu and offer what if any voltage condition is outside of the norm present in psus themselves. Thus again, any psu replacement must be Dell specific rated. Here's a source but google for more, just be sure it's Dell compatible:
http://www.power-on.com/atx12vem300bt.html

However, thus from: http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com
are expensive but 100% worth the cost, but google away.

tada -----Willy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!