Dell forum

General discussion

My Dell Inspiron 1545-5379 will not find HDD - on Windows7

by ktedmonds / February 13, 2010 11:55 PM PST

HELP! my laptop has just crashed and when I rebooted I got this message:

"Internal hard disk drive not found To resolve, try to reseat the drive"

I am not at all technical. The machine is JUST out of warranty, although a similar crash occurred just before Xmas when it was in warranty and SEEMED to be resolved. Had to reformat the HDD when and lost everything! Dell recommended installing Windows7 which I then did. And now this.

Any ideas? I really can't cope with losing everything again!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Dell Inspiron 1545-5379 will not find HDD - on Windows7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Dell Inspiron 1545-5379 will not find HDD - on Windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"losing everything"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 12:14 AM PST
Collapse -
losing everything again
by ktedmonds / February 14, 2010 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: "losing everything"

Hi Bob
Thanks for taking the time to reply and tick me off. The laptop had only just been brought back into service - I'd been using it for less than a week - and I'd scheduled a backup for Sunday evening. That seemed sensible to me - and obviously (or apparently) it wasn't. I guess I should trust nothing and back up every day.

I have a standby machine - which I'm writing this on - a terribly slow and rubbish old Sony Vaio. But thanks for responding. Makes me feel a bit less alone!
kate

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 7:44 AM PST

I had to lose it all twice before I finally said never again.

Glad you had a backup machine but I'm unsure if any breakthrough will occur in the next year to help us avoid this old issue.

As to my link, that little thing is going to be a keeper.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi, Kate:
by Osprey4 / February 17, 2010 8:55 AM PST

The most likely problem is a hard drive failure. Since you are no longer under warranty, you'll need to purchase a drive to replace yours. Any 2.5" SATA drive should work.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by barny12345 / March 12, 2010 5:19 PM PST

Check all conections to the hard drive, the hard drive might have died or had a serious crash, if so if your computer does not have a flopy drive you might have to find a old windows 98 install flopy disk put onto a mem stick, set your bios to boot from usb, then use the old fdisk program, to re-partition the hard drive, then do a clean install, also on some Dell laptops that have the ability to play dvd without booting windows, thees laptops have a hiden partition that if not present or corupted will stop you reinstalling windows saying that the computer cannot find your hard drive, to re-install windows you first have to prepair the Hard drive, to do this incert the Dell media direct cd that was supplyed wit the computer and select boot from cd when you start the computer, this disk will install the hiden partition on your hard drive and then after windows has installed re incert the media direct cd whilst windows is running to actualy install media direct.

Collapse -
Thanks - sorted
by ktedmonds / March 12, 2010 5:42 PM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive

Hi Barny
Thanks for your fullsome reply. In the mean time, I got in touch with Dell and they've been and replaced the HDD with a new one. Thanks again. Kate

Collapse -
hard drive
by tmwright40 / November 6, 2011 8:01 AM PST
Dell inspiron 1545 is haveing a on going problem with their hard drive , they dont make good of it . After nearly 3 hours on the phone and numerous different people , and even a tech that wanted to charge me 60. and would guarentee me 110 percent that the problem was my software and he could fix it if i paid him 60 , and a little bit later after me repeadly telling him it was the hard drive , and he insisted it wasnt , we did trouble shooting for free only because I asked him what he was going to do with the 60 once he realized i knew what i was talking about (hard drive) , and not software and he'd have to refund my money , we shortly did what he wanted to find out low and behold it was the (HARD DRIVE LIKE I SAID) much to my suprise the told me sorry your warranty has expired , I have only used the computer 20 times , but because it was a few month over the warranty so you have a PIECE OF **** DELL INSPIRON 1545 FOR ABOUT 700 DOLLARS THATS JUNK ...... AND ALL DEL WANTED TO DO IS SWITCH ME OVER TO THEIR SALES DEPARTMENT JUST TO PURCHASE ANOHTER HARD DRIVE . NOT I WILL NOT EVER OWN ANOTHER DELL THANKS TO THE WAY THE HANDLE BUSINESS ......
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?