Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear

Unknowingly, I must have configured my cursor to pull up a window beneath another, when the cursor touches it. When I have 2 or more windows open, and my cursor touches any one of them, that window pops in front of the windowt I'm working on. I have searched and cannot find how to correct it. I get very anoyed when that happens. Please help me adjust my cursor to stop pulling up windows from under another. I don't want to loose my cool and punch my computer like someone else has in our Forum. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear

In reply to: My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear

Go to Control Panel, Mouse....and see if you have the setting for X-Mouse checked. I think that's the setting for making the windows pop up over each other (coming to the front) when your cursor is hoving over them. Snap To is for having your cursor default to which ever button is the default and pretty to press when a dialog box comes up, so that's not the one in case you are thinking it is.

TONI

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: My cursor causes windows to appear and disappear

Toni, thank you for your suggestion. I followed through, and found no mention of X mouse in the mouse settings.

Tommy

Collapse -
Accessibilities/Narrator is where to start

First...Look in Start/Programs/Accessibilities and see if there is something checked there that relates to the Mouse that you may have turned on without realizing the effect it would have and just uncheck it if you find it. There is an entry there under Narrator that can be checked that says "move mouse to the active item".....if it is checked, uncheck it because that is what's causing the issue you have. I just looked at mine to be sure that entry is there, and it is.

I may have had the name X-mouse confused with something else, but I remember I also had this happened with my mouse at one time. I use a MS Trackball type and it came with its own software and there was a box in the Control Panel/Mouse settings that I had checked not realizing what it meant and once I unchecked it, the issue went away. If you have a specialized mouse and installed the software for it, it is somewhere in those settings. Look in the HELP files of the mouse to see what all your options mean.

Another thing you might have turned on possibly is something with your keyboard software if you have the type that has extra options keys across the top for things like getting on the net, checking email, adjusting your sound, etc. If you have a specialized keyboard, check in those options in Control Panel/Keyboard to see if there is anything there that would affect the mouse.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Accessibilities/Narrator is where to start

In reply to: Accessibilities/Narrator is where to start

Oh my goodness Toni! I unchecked the box that reads "move mouse to the active item", and I'm still experiencing the same issue.

Tommy

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Accessibilities/Narrator is where to start

Not trying to insult you, but did you click Apply and then OK at that window after unchecking it? You would be surprised at how many people click the OK button only without realizing the Apply button is what will force the change.

TONI

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Accessibilities/Narrator is where to start

Toni, you certainly are not insulting, but being very helpful, to which I appreciate. I checked out, what you suggested, and there was no 'OKAY' button to push. It was still unchecked. I will just deal with this nuisance, and realize there are worse things to worry about. Thanks for you kind suggestions.

Tommy

Collapse -

By cursor I presume you mean mouse? lol This is supposed to happen....it is so that when you are multi-tasking (using more than one website at a time), you can go from one to another quickly. If you don't desire to see this unique feature...you may resolve this problem by only using one program or webpage at a time! No absolutely do NOT punch your computer!! I may look cross eyed at it or call it stupid but always remember the computer is only as smart as the person running it! Happy I too have a problem I am unable to resolve and it's really getting me annoyed but such is normal when one wants to get into todays technology!! lol Wink Have a great day!

Collapse -

I loved your response. Thank you for causing me to smile. I'm confused! I have had Windows XP since it first came out. My son-in-law works for Microsoft, and gets a super discount. Now to my point. I have not experienced my mouse/cursor pulling up the windows underneath before. This started about 2 months ago. That's why I think I must have changed a setting.

Tommy

Collapse -

Here is a method to stop the mouse from activating the window it is hovering over. But it requires editing registry and if you get confused, just dont do it.

Open the registry editor by typing regedit in Start->Run. Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. You will see a long list of Key Names in the Right hand pane. Among them will be a key named UserPreferencesMask. Check its value. It will be in Hex and will be something like 9E 3E 03 80. You are only concerned with the first to letters of this value. If they are 9E, then something else is wrong with your mouse. Otherwise, if they are 9F (or anything else) then double click the UserPreferencesMask key and replace the 9F with 9E and click OK. DO NOT CHANGE THE OTHER LETTERS!! I am sure it will solve your problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.