Question

My Cpu cooling fan does not function when ram installed

hello i just built a Desktop and the Cpu fan will not function when the ram is installed and the computer functions. if i put the ram into the 1 or 2 spot nothing happens on the screen but the cpu fan runs at full rpm, but if i have the ram in 3 and/or 4 the computer boots, but the cpu fan does not run it just gives a slow turn then stops for a few seconds and repeats. i have a sabertooth z77 mother board, ivybridge i5, and kingston hyper x ram in two four gig sticks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My Cpu cooling fan does not function when ram installed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Cpu cooling fan does not function when ram installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like

The full speed when the machine does not boot is NORMAL. It's a shame the maker didn't explain that.

The other times, it sounds like it's booted and changed to on demand cooling. Didn't the maker document this?
Bob

- Collapse -
its more than that

i went into the bios and put the fan on full rpm and it still only give the slow turn, i have no OS in it i have just finished building it. for some reason the fan just does not want to fully turn on.

- Collapse -
Then it's defective.

Time to exchange it.

- Collapse -
but...

i have seen it run when the computer turn on but does not start the boot process. so the fan works, just not when useful

- Collapse -
That only means that it could apply full power.

Later the BIOS switches to a PWM mode and it appears to have failed.

You can recheck your work or bail out by connecting to some +12V supply lead off the PSU but all that is your choice. Note I can't check your work of if the BIOS is current, etc. But it's never worked proper so why would do anything but return a defective product?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Check out...

What does your manual explain about ram placement. if the ram requires certain location, then follow it. Swapping around among the 4 slots seems rather odd. Though it should within the bios may provide also fine tuning the ram as well. Also, there's the outside chance that some bios/UEFI maybe needed as a last resort to help as it may address the ram issue. At least check it out from the support website.

(ram support) http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#MSL

The fan should under auto-mode select what's best for operation, but since you've already selected hi-speed, that's suggests something amiss if it can't spin or refuses to operate correctly. Again, I refer to mtrbd. setting or issue sif so related. The mtrbd. is also DDR3 ready, I assume you have decent ram to install as well, like a matched pair and hi quality.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
still no luck

CNET Forums