Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Computers (Red) LED is constantly (ON)

by Phil g / February 25, 2005 3:18 AM PST

Hi everyone.

I have just replaced my old computers Motherboard (Due to a failure) with a second hand identical version off e-Bay. The board is a Micro star (MS-6340 VER:1) with an AMD Duron 750Mhz Processor and Windows ME edition. The system seems to work fine, but when the power is switched on at the (wall) plug the computer has a breif jump start and then stops, then on pressing the power on button it starts no problem and loads Windows ok, once loaded the Red LED is constantly on regardless if there is a program running or not.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, PG.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computers (Red) LED is constantly (ON)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computers (Red) LED is constantly (ON)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just tell us what RED LED that you
by Ray Harinec / February 25, 2005 5:25 AM PST

are referring to???? The power LED should stay on all of the time.

Collapse -
Red LED
by Phil g / February 25, 2005 10:13 PM PST

Hi, Sorry, I'm refering to the red LED on the front of the computer, which lights up when the system is busy and goes out when the task is complete, usualy next to the Green (power) LED which is constantly on.

Thanks
Phil.

Collapse -
That's the light that indicates
by Ray Harinec / February 25, 2005 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Red LED

hard drive activity, which is a form of the system being busy. If it is simply not a mobo glitch that leaves the light on all the time is it possible that the system has so little memory that the system is using virtual memory [the hard drive] just to keep running?? Have you put an Op Sys on t that is simply overpowering it??? JUst a WAG on my part.

I had to ask because I am color blind and all LEDs [almost] look the same to me. I have blue ones on my fans and can tell the difference there. LOL

Collapse -
Got the red LED sorted! (But the jump start still remains)
by Phil g / February 26, 2005 9:13 PM PST

Hi Ray.

I like the sound of the blue LED's, I might have to get some of them, sorry to hear you are colour blind though!

It would appear that the replacement motherboard is not quite the same after all! The original mother board connector used pins 1 & 3 for the HDD red (LED) where as the replacement uses pins 1 & 2 (simple) I should have noticed earlier!
The jump start still remains though! When the power is turned on at the (wall socket) the computer starts and then stops, but then starts ok when the power button in pressed, could this be a power problem? perhaps causing the original motherboard to fail in the first place?

Thanks

Phil.

Collapse -
First, go into your BIOS [setup]
by Ray Harinec / February 26, 2005 10:36 PM PST

and check the Power Management settings. The fact that you are turning the Power off at the wall socket is possibly part of the problem.

With an ATX system, when you shut down from windows the normal way, the computer seems to shut down, BUT actually the 5 volt standby power remains on all the time. The only way to remove that is to pull the plug [as you do] or turn off the switch on the rear of the supply]. Apparently, when you plug the PS in, the application of the 5 volt standby voltage causes a momentary glitch. One solution would be to have the system turn on and stay on when you plug it in [that's what I do, but don't plug it in, I have it plugged into a surge protector and turn it off/on using a switch]. The act of plugging it in causes transients while the contacts are making and breaking, so even though switches bounce, it is better to use a switch.

Note that when you unplug your supply, the mobo logic senses that there has been a power interruption [it expects the 5 volt stanby to be always there].

So,now, let's hope you have an option in the BIOS Power Management section that says something such as "restart after power loss". If you have that, ENABLE it and your system will start each time that you plug it in, or turn on the surge protector.

Collapse -
Bios setting changed, system A ok:
by Phil g / February 28, 2005 4:23 AM PST

Hi Ray and thank you.

The Bios setting (State after power failure) was set on (Auto) I changed the setting to (OFF) Which I presumed ment that the system would stay powered OFF when the power returned to the system from a power failure, or in this case! Myself turning the plug switch on at the (wall Plug).
On restarting the computer No (jump start) occured.

Problem sorted!!

We live and learn.

Once again Thank you,

Phil G.

Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / February 25, 2005 10:45 PM PST

Ray is probably correct. It's meant to be the HD activity LED. I must be sure you checked that it's properly wired. The LED, being a diode, is a polar device. Generally, having the wiring reversed caused the LED to not light at all. Try disconnecting all IDE devices and boot from a floppy. See if the LED still comes on. Next, add the IDE devices one at a time and repeat to see which one or combination causes the activity light to come on. This should only respond to the HD but I have seen this to be caused by other drives as well.

Collapse -
Got the red LED sorted!
by Phil g / February 26, 2005 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

Hi Steven,

Tried disconnecting all IDE devices and booted from a floppy. The LED still came on, which made look again at the LED power pins. The original mother board connector used pins 1 & 3 for the HDD red (LED)where as the replacement uses pins 1 & 2 (simple)I should have noticed earlier! But as I have said to Ray
The jump start still remains though! When the power is turned on at the (wall socket) the computer starts and then stops, but then starts ok when the power button in pressed, could this be a power problem? perhaps causing the original mother board to fail in the first place?

Thanks

Phil.

Collapse -
I don't think that's too unusual
by Steven Haninger / February 27, 2005 1:34 AM PST

The ATX style boards are meant to have the control voltage available for other devices to wake up the machine. You are seeing an incomplete start during an abnomal process. This could be the PS but I would not concern myself too much. You can probably go to your power management options and change how the computer responds to a complete power loss. There are usually two options. One will return to "last state" and one will do a full power up cycle. Check to see if you have these options and what yours is set to. If you have yours set to wake up by keyboard or mouse, what you are seeing might just be its return to that state.

Collapse -
Bios setting changed, system A ok
by Phil g / February 28, 2005 4:31 AM PST

Hi and Thank you,

Between yourself and Ray my system is now A ok,
by setting the Bios (state after power failure) setting to (OFF) not (Auto) the computer now starts without the (jump start).

Once again Thank you,

Phil G

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.