Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Computer wont turn on

by squadexodus / December 27, 2007 3:01 AM PST

My computer wont turn on when i hit the power button in the front, although i know the mother board the gets power because there is a led that lights up when theres power. First my video card made my monitor say no signal, and a few days later my motherboard stopped working. Any ideas whats wrong?

System: (Yes, i know its old, but it works)
CPU: AMD XP-2600 Athlon
Ram: 2 Sticks of 256MB
Hard drive: Maxtor 80GB
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-X
Video Card: Powercolor ATI 9200 128MB
Windows XP Service pack 2
Case, Cooler Master Centurion 5

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer wont turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer wont turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no signal
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 4:43 AM PST

No beeps?

Your monitor said no signal, not your video card. Monitors have their own programs internal which tell you the video card isn't sending it a signal. What LED lights up? The harddrive led or the memory led on the motherboard?

I'd suspect either power supply or blown capacitors on the mobo. I think your mobo is in that time frame of the bad capacitors. Look on it around the CPU area for large capacitors and see if they are leaking or pushed up off the board. If they aren't sitting straight, but tilted then it means they are blown at the bottom. Here's an article about them.
http://www.answers.com/topic/capacitor-plague

Collapse -
Led
by squadexodus / December 27, 2007 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: no signal

The Led is right between The last and second to last PCI Slots, And whenever i turn the power supply on, it turns on, and if i turn off the power supply, the led goes off.
I would think that if the computer wont turn on when i hit the switch, the hard drive lights wont go on.
Ill check the Capacitors.
I was planning on getting a new video card, then a motherboard, but it looks like the mother board and cpu are next.

Collapse -
About Bad Capacitors
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Led

I had all sorts of intermittent problems on a mobo that I finally tracked down to 5 blown capacitors out of 12. One of the problems which became much worse at the end, caused by the transient ripple voltages (capacitors smooth out those) was odd video characteristics. Since it had integrated video,of course that got tossed with the board. What I'm saying is your video card may still be OK, so hang onto it and check it on the new motherboard. Anything you thought was a problem related to it was likely the fluctuating voltages or ripple effect allowed by the blown capacitors.

Collapse -
yeah
by cmnt / December 27, 2007 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: About Bad Capacitors

I think the problem lies on the motherboard,i faced the same problem before and after a new motherboard being replaced,problem solved.

Collapse -
I'll second BAD CAPS..that MB comes from that era of
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2007 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: no signal

BAD CAPS.

Collapse -
Not Capacitators
by squadexodus / December 27, 2007 12:38 PM PST

I checked, and there were no bad ones. Its not the PSU either, i switched it out for a brand new one.
I guess ill just have to wait to get a new one...

Collapse -
Bummer...would have made a new MB so easy to justify.
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2007 1:30 PM PST
In reply to: Not Capacitators

While you're in there...might take the opportunity to swap out the CMOS battery.

My daughter had an ASUS MB that failed because of bad caps and I replaced it with an MSI that succumbed to the same fate within a year

VAPCMD

Collapse -
when you do
by James Denison / December 27, 2007 8:16 PM PST
In reply to: Not Capacitators

check out Gigabyte's new all "solid" capacitor motherboards. One of those will be my next one.

Collapse -
I plan on getting a abit
by squadexodus / December 28, 2007 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: when you do

Im gonna get a Abit IP35.
Also a dual core 2.66
Its a bit expensive

Collapse -
Looks good
by James Denison / December 28, 2007 4:30 AM PST

Abit was the one manufacturer hit the hardest on the exploding capacitors, and I do mean those on their boards were exploding, lol. They were more honest about it than the other mobo makers, but ended up bankrupt and got bought out. I see that board has solid capacitors for the main power ones, and only a couple of the better brand electrolytic capacitors on it elsewhere. Hopefully Abit can get their sullied reputation back again.

Collapse -
Abit IP35 Pro has been getting gets great buyer reveiws at
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2007 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Looks good
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!