Desktops forum

General discussion

My computer won't turn on, but the power supply blows air

by zero1007 / June 30, 2004 12:04 PM PDT

I was replacing my processor fan today with a new fan, as the old one was incredibly noisy (in an old HP Pavilion 8590c, if that matters). Anyway, I installed it just fine, booted up the computer and it turned on for maybe 10-15 seconds.

Then it turned itself off and now it wont turn back on. I know a good deal about computers, so at first I figured it was a power supply problem. I tried hooking up my other computer's power supply (550w compared to the HP's 160w). The same thing happened:

The computer wouldn't turn on or boot up anything. Yet, the power supply (in both cases) blows out a small amount of continuous air as soon as I insert the power cord into it. I dont have to turn the computer on (as that doesn't even do anything). As soon as I plug it in, the power supply sends out a small amount of air, and the computer remains unresponsive.

I tried removing everything from the power supply (hard drive, floppy, etc), as well as removing devices from the motherboard (soundcard, RAM, graphics card, etc). That didnt work.

So now, I am wondering if the motherboard in the HP Pavilion 8590c crapped out. Could the new fan have fried it out? ANY IDEAS?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer won't turn on, but the power supply blows air
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer won't turn on, but the power supply blows air
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My computer won't turn on, but the power supply blows ai
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 12:16 PM PDT

The 8590c appears to have a P3-600 MHz CPU. The FAN for that CPU may require that third wire for speed monitoring and that "could" cause the machine to not boot if the incorrect fan is used.

Double check this and your work.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: My computer won't turn on, but the power supply blows ai
by zero1007 / June 30, 2004 1:09 PM PDT

i tried the old fan in there (it used to work before), and that doesnt work either.

Collapse -
Then you are squarely in repair mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 10:58 PM PDT

You get to strip it down to just...

CPU/HeatSinkFan(HSF), PSU, Motherboard and Speaker and see if it beeps. If not, it's one of those parts.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Then you are squarely in repair mode.
by zero1007 / July 1, 2004 1:48 PM PDT

The problem is that I can't get it to beep, since it doesnt boot up.

I plug in the cord to the wall, and the power supply fan starts up really weakly, but the computer stays turned off. Then I try the power button, and it clicks, but doesnt turn it on.

Could my motherboard be sending faulty signals to my power supply?

Collapse -
Beeps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2004 1:52 AM PDT

I don't go for "boot" which I define as the bios showing on screen and more, but simply beeps of protest about missing RAM, video and more from the machine.

Let me ask POINT BLANK....

Did you strip it down to the four parts?

If so and it doesn't power up, then we can do two less parts. Remove the CPU and the Speaker. What happens when you try it?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Beeps.
by zero1007 / July 15, 2004 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Beeps.

Okay, sorry for the long time between replies.

Anyway, I removed everything you said and nothing.

I removed everything BUT the processor (I cant get the damn thing out of there!), and nothing happened. Although now the power supply doesn't blow a small amount of air upon plugging in the machine. It only does that when I hit power.

Do you have any experience with removing the processor/heatsink from HP Pavilion PCs? I can't find the original instructions (although i doubt that would even be in there).

Is there any hope for me left? Or can you narrow it down to a cause of my computer not powering up?

Thanks for your help thus far and any new insight you might be able to give me.

Collapse -
Beeps. You want beeps. redux...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Beeps.

You are actually making progress. It appears you got it down to just 3 parts and was able to power up. But without the speaker, the test is incomplete. We gotta hear those beeps of protest or we are looking at 4 possibly bad parts.

Hope you understand and hope it narrows it down.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) FYI. Reply up higher to continue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 10:14 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?