Desktops forum

General discussion

My computer sometimes hangs on startup

by Bude04 / January 15, 2007 7:57 PM PST

ever since I installed a new graphics card my computer will sometimes hang on startup. just after the windows xp loading screen, the computer goes dead - but it only happens sometimes, the rest of the time it starts normally, though it takes longer than it used to.

my specs

Acerpower F5
pentium D 820 2.8ghtz processor
1gb ram
Sparkle 8800gts
430watt power supply

before upgrade, I had a 350 watt power supply and was using ATI Xpress200 integrated graphics

I thought perhaps the power supply was inadequate, but some sites seem to list the minimum as 400watts, while the box specifies 450

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer sometimes hangs on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer sometimes hangs on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Swap PSU
by Willy / January 15, 2007 11:25 PM PST

"430watt power supply"

Is that a no name PSU? If very generic, you'll find I always reply get a namebrand PSU to best handle power needs. Even though you got a higher wattage PSU, alot depends on the stable and dependable delivery of power output and once you get a hi-powered video card, it really tasks the PSU. Plus, understand during boot-up alot of power is required by all devices as this is the only time it will do that, after such, it drops down abit. This is also a time I mention when if things get freaky or weird, expect a problem to crop-up. I suggest you get a namebrand PSU and then continue from that time on. Last note, newer video cards come with s/w pgms. that in itself is a big load for start-up and maybe a slowdown cause, however see if you can disable it during start-up as in many cases once the setting are selected, you don't need that vendor pgm. no more. I said, disable, not delete or remove. Wink check the start-up section under [msconfig], try start->run->type: msconfig and find startup, disable(uncheck, 1 at a time), save, reboot and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for your help - one other question though...
by Bude04 / January 16, 2007 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Swap PSU
Collapse -
Do what you gotta do....
by Willy / January 16, 2007 12:27 PM PST

Thermolake was a big cpu fan provider awhile ago, then they started to get into other devices. For the most part, they are decent maker of devices and PSUs. The 600W+ PSU certainly will have room to grow on.

As for any damage using the old PSU, heck you're already experiecing problems, they won't go away. Let's hope it doesn't get worse, but constant manual reboots isn't a fix, more of an annoyance. Never-the-less it doesn't help in the long run. Even with the new PSU in place you won't know what devices/compoments may have been stressed during that time, so cross your fingers. I know users do this all the time until $$$ or time is available for proper fix.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Video Cards....output devices
by castingRod47 / January 16, 2007 5:51 PM PST

I would check all connections at the OUTPUT first..
Also..I do not have a Video card but my SOUNDCARD/will mal-function my PC if I unplug or plug in wires while the PC is running..
SOOooo....be sure your PC is always Powered-Down in order to Plug and PLAY..never Powered-on...
Video Cards have many congigurations..they are for ADVANCED Users in my examination of one from a store..I did return the ITEM fearing the confusion aspects of that hardware..
I would Re-examine my SETTINGS..and even write them down for secondary inspections(are they changeing..??)..<<--why..
PSU....I use a 400-watt PSU for Video Authoring and Editing in a Mobo that contains SATA Drive Connections..Enableing those extra Connections later down the road might offer problems..
I have read that 600-watts is a minimum for the GAMERS..
I would re-check what I'm really doing on a Desktop/
Your PC specs seem just fine..as listed..
But I would check my SETTINGS/are they somehow "changeing" between Start-Up and Shut-Down..are you looseing a SETTING??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?