Computer Help forum

General discussion

my computer shuts down itself

by asmibee / October 28, 2005 11:47 PM PDT

My machine is AMD ATHLON Windows XP based.I have AVG ANTIVIRUS free edition and spybot search & destroy installed.Also I have spyware doctor installed.The system suddenly hangs or screen goes blank.Sometimes it shuts down itself.When I opened my cpu I found some capacitors on mother board leaky. Could this problem be related to this?Also my machine does not enter the standby mode? Any help please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my computer shuts down itself
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my computer shuts down itself
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shut down
by The Fly / October 29, 2005 1:36 AM PDT

Excess heat will cause many problems. You can check to make sure the cooling fans are running. One is in the Power supply which you should be able to see without taking the cover off. One will be on the CPU itself. You will need to remove the cover on the computer case to see this. Turn off the computer, take the cover off, turn the computer back on and take a look at the CPU fan. If they are not running or are running slowly or sporatically, they would need to be replaced. Do not leave the cover off for long periods of time as it is part of the cooling system.

Also while you are in there, it is a good idea to clean out the dust that has accumulated. Make sure you are careful not to induce any static electricity in doing this. I usually use a can of compressed air and carefully blow out the dust. If a vacuum is used make sure you can ground the wand so it does not build up static electricity.

If there are actually components "leaking", you need to take the computer to a fix'em-up-shop. If it is old, you may want to consider that it may be time for a new computer.

Collapse -
Definitely need to get the leaky caps
by Ray Harinec / October 29, 2005 1:54 AM PDT

replaced. They filter the DC power to the CPU. Without adequate filtering the CPU will perform in a very flaky manner

If the mobo is an ABIT, they lost a class action suit and are ordered to replace and rewarrant any mobos with defective capacitors.

For any other mfr's mobo, I would also complain loudly to the Mobo mfr. They may agree to repair or replace. Most mobos are warranteed for 3 years by the nmobo mfr.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?