Desktops forum

General discussion

My Computer says I don't have 512 MB of RAM

by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 1:11 AM PDT

I have an HP Evo D325 with Win XP Pro, an Athlon XP 2800 processor and 512 MB of RAM. When I look at the system information screen in My Computer it tells me I have 448 MB of RAM and I?m not sure why. I?ve look inside it and there are two 256 MB modules so I?m curious what the reason for the different numbers is. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer says I don't have 512 MB of RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer says I don't have 512 MB of RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Some is used for the video display.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 1:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 2:53 AM PDT

I assumed my Nvidia GeForce4 video card took care of all that.

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

The stock machine uses some for onboard video. Did you put in a video card? (you didn't tell) If so did you explore the BIOS or manual for ways to reduce the video ram size?

Collapse -
No
by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

I didn't add a video card, that's just what came with the machine.

Collapse -
The thing is you don't have a video card per se
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

.... you have a video chip built into the MB to perform the video function. Under that implementation, system RAM , is used to support the built in video function. PROs....save money for the PC mfg, lower cost to buyer. CONS....usually slow and uses system RAM. For that reason, it's usually better to have have a least 1GB RAM for Windows XP especially for systems with built in video chips.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks
by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 4:34 AM PDT

I didn't realize that. I have been thinking about adding more RAM. Any suggestions on a manufacturer to go with or stay away from and a good place to buy?

Collapse -
Double check your system manual...here's what I found
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

re RAM for HP EVO D325 with Kingston DDR333.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=15699&mfr=HP%2FCompaq&model=Evo+Business+Desktop+D325+Microtower%2FSlim+Tower&root=&LinkBack=&Sys=15699-HP%2FCompaq-Evo+Business+Desktop+D325+Microtower%2FSlim+Tower&distributor=0&submit1=Search

If this is the info for your PC ...you'd be best adding RAM in pairs to have it work in the dual channel mode. 2 DIMM slots (?) you could install 2 @ 512MBs for 1GB total or 2 - 1GB for 2GBs total. What bothers me is I cannot find RAM for this PC at Crucial. DDR333 is pretty common and available most everywhere.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes
by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 9:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Got it....Thanks for the feedback
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2008 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Lots of alternatives here...you can by all means add a 1GB DIMM ... to go with one of the 256MB DIMMs...for a total of 1278MBs minus the RAM allocated for the graphics. If the system doesn't support dual channel, then there's no loss mixing DIMM densities. If the budget allows...I'd try this (link below) and I'd probably go for two...but that's up to you and your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220058

Whatever you end up doing...let us know how it works. I'd be interested in hearing your impression of the system performance with the additional RAM.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by chafer444 / May 10, 2008 8:36 PM PDT

I was going to check out newegg.com but I probably wouldn't have looked at Patriot because I have never heard of them. This is the first time I've looked at RAM in years so there's a lot that would be new to me. I read some of the reviews and many seem pleased with the product. The budget is a concern, I had thought about adding just a 1GB stick. How would I make sure that my system does or doesn't support dual channel? I'll be sure to let you know how it works when I finally make the buy.

Collapse -
From what I've seen....your system doesn't have the dual
by VAPCMD / May 11, 2008 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the link

channel architecture. If you find it is dual channel, then buying matched DIMMs would be more important as dual channel and matched pair gives slightly greater performance. Assuming it's NOT dual channel, buying pairs of the same brand mfg, speed and density gives greater assurance there will be no mismatch or incompatibility between the existing 256MB DIMM and the new 1GB DIMM. If you buy only one 1GB DIMM, I'd recommend it be placed in the first DIMM slot 1 (or A) however it's labeled and that you test it with Memtest86+ without any other RAM installed. Once you're sure it's OK, the add the 2nd DIMM and test again. If all OK, then just enjoy more RAM.

Re Patriot...I wouldn't hesitate to buy...they're well tested and NewEgg will exchange or replace it if there's any problem. Customer review for those DIMMs are outstanding.

Keep us posted.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, I'll be sure to report back when I buy.
by chafer444 / May 11, 2008 2:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
I got the RAM
by chafer444 / May 19, 2008 7:48 AM PDT

today and installed it, with no problems. The main reason it was needed was I ordered some old aerial photos from the government and the files are huge, 337 megs. They load a lot quicker and I can zoom in now, so it was a success. The only problem I have now is when I zoom in, I reach a point where windows picture and fax viewer says 'drawing failed' not sure what that's about, but that was happening before I added the RAM.

Collapse -
Good to hear...Thanks for the feedback.
by VAPCMD / May 19, 2008 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I got the RAM

Did you add 1GB to what you had or did you go to 2GBs ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I just got 1GB
by chafer444 / May 19, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

I was told I didn't need matched pairs. I had to reply to different post for some reason.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!