Computer Help forum

General discussion

My computer resets "remember passwords" and cookies reboot

by shadowfreeway / October 26, 2008 6:38 AM PDT

Each time I reboot, I have to re-enter passwords that I have toold my pc to remember. Even my cookies get reset. Is there any option in window to take care of this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer resets "remember passwords" and cookies reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer resets "remember passwords" and cookies reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TweakUI has this setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

As well as some Web Browsers (yours was?)

"the Tools menu, and click Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab. In the "Settings" box, scroll down to the section labeled "Security," and click to check the box next to the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed""

Or change as you see fit.

Collapse -
losing passwords
by shadowfreeway / October 26, 2008 7:40 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply, I checked what you told me and it was not checked, but it is my browser plus my PC. When I reboot, I have applications that automatically start that I have to enter my password even though I have checked "remember password".

Collapse -
For windows...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: losing passwords

Sometimes you find it wants you to flip the setting, ok your way out and then go change it back. I can't explain why this is so.

Sadly you didn't reveal enough detail in your first or second post. So my replies will be plain and may not find the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Some websites FORCE the password issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: losing passwords

Let's look at Live Mail. It will IGNORE the remember password choice.

Again, DETAILS matter.
Bob

Collapse -
Losing passwords
by shadowfreeway / October 26, 2008 8:21 AM PDT

I have windows xp, sp3. When I boot my pc, I have software that starts that wants me to put in my password. It then has a check box to remember password. I always have to put the password in every time and everytime I check the box to remember password. I also notice on the web, I always have to log in to google bookmarks, and I also have to re-enter my bank card number on my bank website, even though I check the box to remember password. On my other 2 PC's I don't have this problem.

Collapse -
Look at your posts please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Losing passwords

"I have software that starts that wants me to put in my password. It then has a check box to remember password."

I must be missing it or you never told what this software title is. It could have a defect?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?