Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

my computer reboots for no reason at all

by essener / February 4, 2006 11:39 PM PST

Windows XP, 80GB Harddrive, 522 Memory. For the last few days, I cannot do anything with the computer.
Sometimes it takes a few minutes and at other times it reboots immediately. A new bar has appeared above the toolbar, which I have never experienced in years of using computers. It is a Discussion bar and the prompt is: Discussions not available on http://.......
I may mention, that the programmed Norton Anty Virus Scan ran normally. I would appreciate any help with this problem. Thank you. Ted

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my computer reboots for no reason at all
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my computer reboots for no reason at all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual. Try these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 12:06 AM PST

1. Remove the case cover. See if it helps. So little was written about the age of the machine or if you clean it out yearly.

2. Scan the machine with EWIDO and HOUSECALL. Eject what they find.

Bob

Collapse -
by essener / February 5, 2006 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: The usual. Try these.

Thanks, Bob, for your reply. The computer is two years old and I vacuum on a regular basis. Last summer, I did clean the inside completely. I ran several anti virus and anti spam scans. All were clean. At times the computer stays on for thirty minutes and at other times it goes into reboot as soon as I click on an item on the home page. Thanks again. Ted

Collapse -
That puts the age issue into play.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 10:35 PM PST

I'm unsure if you ran EWIDO and HOUSECALL, but do complete that.

-> The age puts the machine where the power supply can be fading (a problem of age) or there are the bad motherboard capacitor issue. Here's a link about that -> http://www.badcaps.net/

After the scans, cleaning (again), fan and capacitor checks, cover off and if it still reboots then you are looking at something that has failed. I find that unplugging a CD/DVD drive to free up some Watts is my best diagnostic to see if there is a power issue.

Sorry, but nothing in your posts points to anything specific.

Bob

Collapse -
by essener / February 6, 2006 2:37 AM PST

Hi Bob. Thank you for your patience. Yes, I have scanned with Housecall and EWIDO. When I reported the problem to Microsoft, I was advised, that the error is caused by a device driver. No details were given. How will I find the culprit and how will I fix it? Ted

Collapse -
If it is a driver that caused the reboot this is how I ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 2:42 AM PST

... smoke it out. I open the EVENT VIEWER after a reboot and see what is in the 3 areas to give me a clue about which driver.

Sometimes finding the driver can be NUTS! At home my kid's machine has some fujitsu motherboard and the audio driver did cause a reboot. But the latest driver was not on the website of that motherboard but was on a similar model by fujitsu (one that had firewire). Since I know the audio was the same I fetched and installed that and the problem is gone.

If it hadn't fixed it then I use my old method of disabling the onboard sound and installing a simple Creative Labs PCI 16.

You need some clue to nail this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, there is a reason ......
by CharleyO / February 6, 2006 3:00 AM PST

A computer does not reboot for no reason at all. There is always a reason ... be it failed parts, user input, user error, malware, or what have you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?