PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My computer randomly seizes to work

by Ceolweld / July 15, 2010 6:55 PM PDT

Long story short - I'm playing a game, Lord of the Rings Online or Red Alert 3. After some time, from ten minutes to three hours, the PC rebels, monitor goes black, with Digital/Analog window twinkling in the corner and, moments later, whole PC seizing it's work (hearable, as game sound stops working a while after the monitor). Only the Start button helps then, neither Alf+f4, Alt+Cntrl+Del nor Reset helps (if I use Reset button, comp crashes right after I enter the game).

My configuration is:

Samsung SyncMaster226BW(Digital).

Intel Pentium Dual CPU
E 2160 1.80GHz
1.84 GHZ 2GB RAM
Radeon X1950 PRO
Windows XP

My question is, what may be the problem and what can I do with it? Lately I've had problems with power - computer sometime refused to start to work - but I've called a technician, he changed one part and repaired the PC. Tis' rather not the heat, I've examined PC unit from the outside and couldn't feel any bigger heat.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer randomly seizes to work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer randomly seizes to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stuff happens
by Willy / July 16, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

When you're gaming and for prolonged periods, you tax the system. After sometime, it will start to falter, and/or the weak link becomes apparent. Notice, you gave no mention of your PSU. This many times is the weak link and under heat stress becomes weaker. The outputs fall or it drops some voltage and/or it reaches a critical level and shutdown to save itself. While, this is happening, it becomes what I term a "flaky system". Replacing the PSU with a higher wattage one and of a name brand should help. Even, if a system is well cooled, hot spots are within the system, the video card and/or immediate area is prone to heat duress and/or lessen airflow. It boils down that over time, some weak link is noticed. That's why it pays attention to details to include the PSU and cooling. This doesn't exclude the network, working hard to keep things going as well, so that too can cause a glitch which falters the system. When gaming, you are in "high demand mode" and that basically where the system is going to sooner or later produce a problem. I exclude any s/w glitches if any exist, but it's possible, what works well for one game may not for others and/or to get to more demands on your system to maintain a good level of play.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
It does, doesn't it.
by Ceolweld / July 16, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuff happens

My PSU's:

Model - Highlander
Mark - Tracer
Power - 350W

Mildly good, from what I've heard. Still! For now at least, I've solved the problem with cleaning inside of the PC and putting aside side of it's cover, for, erm, air circulation or something. I hope it'll stay fine until I'll get myself a better PSU. Anyone, please, does have ae suggestion about what mark'd be good?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.