General discussion

My computer monitor remains blank at start up

One day i tried shutting down my computer by using the shut down option in windows 7. When i hit shut down only my monitors went blank and the rest of my computer was still working. I did a manual shut down by holding down the power button. Now when i try to turn on my computer my screen remains blank on both my monitors. I have tried switching monitors but still no luck. I have a Biostar Ati Raedon 4650 HD video card that i put in the day before and a 350 watt PSU. How can i fix this?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My computer monitor remains blank at start up
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My computer monitor remains blank at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try the old pull the plug.

Remember that WINDOWS is not running so that's not it. Unless you see a BIOS BOOT SCREEN all it means is the machine needs repair.

Try THE DEAD PC at google.com to start learning about PC repair.

A similar card notes 400 WATT power supply and another listed 500 WATTS. It is possible you didn't get the power supply upgraded and it failed. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150433
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: post

what should i do if the PSU failed. My friend has the exact same card and he runs his computer with a 250 watt PSU.

- Collapse -
That's easy.

Replace the failed PSU. If you need to test the PSU, google HOW DO I TEST MY COMPUTER'S PSU?

One of the troubles of specifying just Watts is that it does little to determine if any "rail" of the PSU is being overtaxed. That 250 Watt PSU might have less demands and well within each supply rail and total Watts. Sadly it's a long discussion to cover all this. At least power supplies can be tested and have been replaced by mere mortals.
Bob

- Collapse -
thank you good sir

my computer is running perfectly after i put back my PSU that came with the computer. You are a life saver.

CNET Forums

Forum Info