Desktops forum

General discussion

My Computer Making Showing Colors/Pictures

by MingJuku / September 13, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

My Dell desktop hasn't been acting right the past few days. I haven't downloaded any programs or such when the problem started happening. First I had turned on my computer and little weird images were showing up over the Dell screen, and also over the Windows XP loading screen. It also shows like these weird pixel colors on the desktop, it makes it kind of hard to see what i'm typing. I took pictures of my desktop to give people a better view: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/bioncaaa/Img_2091a.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/bioncaaa/Img_2092a.jpg http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/bioncaaa/Img_2090a.jpg
I don't know what to do. I tried running virus scan and nothing was detected. I really don't want to have to result to restoring because I have so much on my computer and its such a headache. Please Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer Making Showing Colors/Pictures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer Making Showing Colors/Pictures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two options. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 13, 2007 10:07 AM PDT

Your graphics drivers are corrupt.

Your monitor is dying.

A system restore "may" fix the drivers problem. What else have you done lately?

Collapse -
Okay
by MingJuku / September 13, 2007 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Two options. . .

I haven't done anything. I've had a few people tell me it was my video card and that I needed another one.

Collapse -
Could well be.
by fbbbb / September 14, 2007 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay

Are they like randomly coloured blocks?

Try hunting for the latest drivers for your card - but it is possible that the card is hosed, possibly from overheating issues or has just decided to develop a fault. I doubt it's the monitor from what you're describing.

Collapse -
Sorry, didn't clikc on your links...
by fbbbb / September 14, 2007 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Could well be.

...did now. Almost certainly a GPU issue, be it drivers or failure.

Collapse -
That's a classic sign of a failed video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

If it's a shared memory video system (on board) then I see that with failed or incompatible RAM.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by MingJuku / September 14, 2007 5:14 AM PDT

Thanks you guys for your answers, really helpful. So should I get another video card? Or is there some way to fix this?

Collapse -
Is there a card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?