Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My computer is toast.

by Penny_Pombert / April 23, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

I can't reinstall Windows ME because I get the message saying there is no partition table something about Fat or Fat 32. It wants some command typed in which I have no clue about??? And I can't even install my master recovery disk. There is no sound and none of my restore programs work to fix anything. Something about MS DOS not compatable. It all started when I went away for the weekend and my husband in his infinite wisdom shut down my antivirus program because he thought it was too slow. The computer has'nt been the same since.Any ideas or should I just shoot it and put it out or my misery?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer is toast.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer is toast.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
shoot hubby or puter? (NI)
by Mark G / April 23, 2004 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: My computer is toast.

Collapse -
Re:My computer is toast.
by Beast56 / April 23, 2004 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: My computer is toast.

First, I hope you have made a backup of all important files. If not, then start from now on. Sounds like you need to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch. Now would be a good time to install windows xp instead of reinstalling windows me. It takes care of alot of install problems for you. But to continue:At startup, you need to reboot from your a: drive with your 3.5 disk. I hope you have one. It will be a bootable disk. You will have to enter your setup by following the command at start up, most of the time it is the del key. In setup you will choose the bootup syquence. Choose A: first. Save and exit setup.Use the 3.5 Disk in the a: drive, If you dont have one, ask around usually somebody does. Reformat your c: drive, You will lose all info on your c drive. If you have never done this, then some reading is in store, and you will learn alot. Maybe you have a computer friend that will help you. After reformating you c: drive, you will restart the computer, Now, there are two ways to do the next thing. Go to setup again, by pressing what ever key, probably the del key, and change the bootup option to boot up from the cdrom drive. Save and exit setup. Put the windows me cd in the drive and the computer will boot up from the cd. Now install windows again. If you have reformated the c drive and put the necessary file to it then it will install windows again. The other way is to boot up to the a: drive and put your me cd in the cdrom and from a: type e: or d: what ever your cdrom drive is. Type the dos command "dir"( just the letters dir) and run setup(type the word setup) from the cd. You might have to go to the windows directory on that cd ( cd windows)and find a setup file. I know it sound complicated if you have never done this. Maybe find a friend that can help you.. Good luck.. Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.