Alert

My computer is shutting down when i try and play games.

My computer has recently had this problem where whenever I try and play graphicly intense games it shuts down without warning. My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 2X 5000+
NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 460
chipset: Geforce 7025
Southbridge : nForce 630a
motherboard : ASUSTeK Computer inc

any other spec i should include please tell me i really need help i can't do anything to shake this its not my temps because i monitor those when it shuts off and they are in beetween 55-65 C ive run countless scans with am\lmost every antivirus software to no avail

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My computer is shutting down when i try and play games.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My computer is shutting down when i try and play games.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Still Could Be Temperature Related...

Temperature readings don't always tell you if there is an extreme heat issue in an unknown spot. And of course, since you stated the computer shuts down "without warning", I'll guess you can't monitor the temp at the time it shuts down.

Have you checked the game sites to see if there are any updates for the games you're playing.. If there are such updates, give them a try.

The first thing we do here is to remove the case cover, then use compressed air to blow out all the dust from around the processor, heat sink, power supply, and all vents and fans.. Next, make sure all the fans are functioning.. Next, we remove the old thermal paste on the heat sink and replace it with a thin covering of new.

And if that doesn't get it done, it's entirely possible your power supply is either inadequate or heading south.. Time to swap in a new/bigger/better one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
I tried some

i removed the case cover and i have left it off. I checked each fan to see if they work (which they do). I blew out the computer with a full can but still i had the same problems.its not specific games its just anything basiclly I cna surf the web and watch videos but no games. So i guess i'm gunna need a new power supply. sadly Sad.

- Collapse -
(NT) Or New Thermal Paste
- Collapse -
Can't find the power supply in your posts.

But given the machine's age, new compound is worth in. About a dollar's worth will do.

CNET Forums