there's a recent study going on amongst dell e1505-e1705 owners regarding mysterious stray voltages that can be detected on the bottom screws on the machine which may lead to some motherboard related problems and in rare cases, minor shock to the user. This can also happen to other laptop brands.
Many have theorized that this is caused by faulty grounding on the dell adapters where they used cheap two-prong devices versus 3 pronged grounded adapters. If you have a 2 prong adapter, getting a 3 prong adapter should solve your problem. If you have a 3 prong adapter, you should check if your socket has proper grounding. Many found that some 3 prong sockets aren't even properly grounded -- you can buy a device from your local hardware store to check this.
You can check for stray voltages by using a multimeter. Set the red lead on one of the screws on the bottom of the laptop and the other on something grounded and check if it reads something greater than .26 (or something of that range) volts.
If the problem persists, you can call Acer about this problem and they should send you either a new adapter (if you feel that this is causing the shock), or they may just replace your entire laptop. While the shock you receive may be just be a minor inconvenience - a ruined motherboard caused by stray voltage is something entirely more serious.
At Thanksgiving I bought an Acer Aspire 5100 - one of the door busters at Circuit city.
This is the first computer that is "mine" and the first laptop I have used with any regularity.
Occasionally, I find that when I set it down one of my fingers will feel what I assume is a tiny jolt of electricity. It seems to come from the side, or occasionally underneath (perhaps where the battery is). I haven't approached this very scientifically since I don't want to do myself or the computer too much damage if I can help it. I think it only occurs when I move the computer from my lap to the table with the screen open. My husband also uses the computer and he has not complained.
Is this a defect?
Am I handling the computer incorrectly?
Thank you in advance