General discussion

my computer is overrun w/ viruses. beyond hope i think

for 2 weeks i have been fighting this thing. i have googled and looked in every forum. i have downloaded everything it seems. most work. for about 2 hours. then right back to square 1. it seems as though my computer is beyond repair. i have a sony vaio running on xp. right now i have the google redirect virus (which makes it hard to try to help myself), IE wont open at all, i keep getting that xp security thing trying to get me to buy it. this is apparently from an ave.ex thingy that i delete and it comes back. i have downloaded hitman 3.5 which was supposed to be good, but it never finds anything. i downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware. this detects something sometimes, but after it removes the problems, i still have them, and i have Fix-It utilities which does nothing and was a waste of $20. any ideas or is this thing ready for the glue factory? thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: my computer is overrun w/ viruses. beyond hope i think
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: my computer is overrun w/ viruses. beyond hope i think
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
theres more

oh yea, and my computer also frequently closes all its pages and when i restart the computer a folder comes up called "Common." ugh. kill me

- Collapse -
More Information Needed About The PC

When all else fails, it sometimes is best to simply format and reinstall everything back to the factory condition.. We'll need more specific information about your make, model, operating system, etc. if we're going to help much.

Do you have the Recovery Discs that came with the computer?

Many newer computers have a recovery partition which can be enabled and will reload everything from a hidden parition on the computer.

Most importantly, make sure you back up all your personal files, documents, etc. so they can be reloaded after the recovery.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

- Collapse -
Issues

Need some more info, OS etc. Things to try. From a CLEAN computer, download Malwarebytes to a flash drive. Boot the infected computer to SAFE MODE, try running MWB (from flash drive) on infected system, pretty simple to do and may be effective. Or as previous poster suggested, format and reload OS.

CNET Forums

Forum Info