Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Computer is not reading my discs.

by Luthias / February 16, 2004 4:15 AM PST

Whenever I try to play one of my games, my Disc Detector does not read it. Please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer is not reading my discs.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer is not reading my discs.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:My Computer is not reading my discs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 4:28 AM PST

"Disk Detector" isn't part of Windows. Can you do without it?

Collapse -
Re:Re:My Computer is not reading my discs.
by Luthias / February 16, 2004 4:30 AM PST

no, I normally need it for my computer to read my discs.

Collapse -
Windows does CD discs without such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 4:38 AM PST

I've yet to see this as a must-have item.

Are you sure?

Collapse -
Re:Windows does CD discs without such.
by Luthias / February 16, 2004 4:48 AM PST

In the bottom right conner of my screen, next to the time, there is a thing that when I put my mouse over it it is called Disc Detector, and when it is not there, my computer does not read my discs. Putting this asside, can someone anser my original question please?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows does CD discs without such.
by JenDScot / February 16, 2004 11:06 PM PST

Usually disc detector is installed with creative sound blaster sound cards. it is not necessary, as B. Proffitt stated. You can go into the control panel, open and uncheck the enable box, and windows will still read cd disks. Otherwise, if the system is not reading correctly from this program, you can open the run box and browse to your cd drive, and click an autostart or autorun file form the cd, click open and it will show the path in the run box, click ok, and the program will open.

Collapse -
Said game could be copy protected. As such, Disc Detector fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 4:48 AM PST

Windows has it's own ways of detecting discs and the copy protection can flumox Disc Detector. You are unlikely to find a fix for the following reasons.

1. The copy protection scheme was tested for Windows...
2. Disc Detector is likely out of support options or updates since this is just one game and it's 98.
3. If the CD is good and the drive is not too old (they tend to start failing on some CDs, then more and more), then you can try just the "Windows" method.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Said game could be copy protected. As such, Disc Detector fails.
by Luthias / February 16, 2004 5:00 AM PST

Thank you for the help. I am going to get my friend to have a look at it and see if he can fix whatever problem I may have (he is very good when it comes to computers).

Collapse -
That's a good idea.

Capable local hands-on help in a lot of situations is preferable to remote help on this forum, in my opionion. This could very well be one.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!